oil pump fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Check the bypass in the filter adapter.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah! And fill it with a nylon plug.

Oil pump fail? That doesn't happen, so what's really going on?
Disconnect the HEI and use the starter to make pressure? Verified through the valve cover?

What's really going on?

How about a distributor shaft oil pump primer? I chuck a long flathead into a drill....:grd:

Last edited:

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
the 454 is a gen 6 eng the oil filter adaptor is made n to the block along with oil cooler ports have oil presser at the filter put filter back on prim the pump again with a drill and have presser at the cooler port to the cooler had a jumper hose made put it in to return oil to the block primed again and nothing no oil to the oil gauge port it is like the block is plugged off some where in side:shrug:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Uhhh...

Ok?

Admittedly I know nothing about gen6 engines except I stay away from them. Because of **** like this! Matter of fact , I don't care nothin bout it. I guess they have oil pump issues. Sucks.
Rather than talk trash on vortex engines, my SECOND thought is that it's not blocked or there would be pressure buildup and backflow SO it is diverted back into the pan somehow?
Look brah, I can't help you. I would ? GOOD LUCK with your vortex.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hmmm, that leaves me out too, should be able to tap into one of the passage plugs on the side of the block though, unless they did away with those???..

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
yesterday I started my 454 and it lost all oil presser after start...

Does that mean the gauge showed pressure for a while before dropping to zero?

Is this a new crate engine, a rebuild, or what?

Since the guys here are out of ideas, I suggest you post your problem on the forum below. Grumpy knows more about BBCs than anyone I know.
http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php

And here's a friendly tip: Try to start sentences with a capital letter, and end them with a period. It will make your posts easier to read and understand.:)

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I have come to this pulling the BB and take it to a machine shop and have them go threw it and find the blockage . I don't know what else to do at this point .

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Probably a good idea, but I hate that you have to start over. Since you have oil up to the rockers arms, hopefully that means the problem is with the passage/port you connected the gauge to. Keep us updated.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Have you tried putting a lil air to the port with man off see what happens maybe some rtv stuck in her

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I talked to the shop yesterday Dave sead he thinks it is plugged off by dirt dobbers has got in the eng when the intake was off . So I got to stinking if I am going to pull it to just have the oil passages cleaned and a inspection done and spend $500 I should go ahead and have it freshened up and the heads done put a new cam in .Would like to put a good loopy cam in it , Spend my dollars wisely and have a fresh engine when it is done that will run for a long time with no issues. :gathering:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I talked to the shop yesterday Dave sead he thinks it is plugged off by dirt dobbers has got in the eng when the intake was off . So I got to stinking if I am going to pull it to just have the oil passages cleaned and a inspection done and spend $500 I should go ahead and have it freshened up and the heads done put a new cam in .Would like to put a good loopy cam in it , Spend my dollars wisely and have a fresh engine when it is done that will run for a long time with no issues. :gathering:
Be the wise thing to do if it's starting to get tired..

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
The engine is not tired it only had 29.000 on it when it was pulled from a wrecked motor home. Just want good to go .

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Still nice to have it fresh and know exactly what you have..

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Would like to put a good loopy cam in it.
Just know that a lopey cam can cause several new problems, such as low vacuum for power brake booster and poor throttle response. If your trans is an automatic with a "tight" stock torque converter, it will get even tighter, so there's a good chance you will need one with a higher stall speed. You will also need a different vacuum advance canister and transmission modulator, if so equipped.

You'd be much better off with a slightly larger cam than stock -- a modern cam with more lift per degree of duration for more "area under the curve". Shoot for one that makes a minimum of 16"-18" vacuum. And make sure you use the proper valve springs and pushrod length. But all this cam stuff is best addressed in another post.

If your main goal is a lopey idle, then go for it, but just be aware of the potential problems before you jump in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MIDWESTCUSTOMS