Oil pressure sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
So I had an oil leak since I got the truck a couple months ago. Turns out it's coming from inside the oil pressure sending unit. The unit itself looks to be a 3 prong with the middle prong pulled out and that's where the oils leaking through. The plug on the truck side is 2 prong. No place for a middle prong to go. Does anyone have the part number for a 2 prong sending unit the parts stores around have 3 prongs.

Also pressure gauge on the truck pegs high and never moves. Did the PO take a 3 prong and make it a 2? Leaks pretty bad. I was pretty hillbilly and superglued the empty hole shut and no leaky anymore.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Let's clarify. If you are working on an 87 with TBI are you talking about the oil pressure sender located over to the drivers side above the filter or the oil pressure switch located about top center behind the intake? The sender is for the gauge and the switch is part of the circuit for the fuel pump.

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
Ya the pressure sending unit on driver side, top of the block, that screws into the brass fitting. Looking for a two prong unit.

Not sure if it goes to the computer for fuel pressure cause I plugged it and the truck runs no problem.

Ive got a spot for a plug ahead of the oil filter about the same height as the filter, your telling me thats for the pres gauge? If you got the part number for that too ill pick up the plug and wiring.

Im not familiar with the TBI stuff. The block is an 83 with the heads, intake, distributor, tbi, etc original for 87.

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
Before i get off topic I still want to sort out the 2 prong sending unit.

The pressure gauge is a different problem. The brass fitting I have has only one threaded hole for the sending unit. Is it supposed to be a Y for a second pressure sensor for the dash gauge? Because i have a wire connector with a heavy rubber boot covering it, just hanging out of the wire loom behind the distributor.

Last edited:

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Let's clarify. If you are working on an 87 with TBI are you talking about the oil pressure sender located over to the drivers side above the filter or the oil pressure switch located about top center behind the intake? The sender is for the gauge and the switch is part of the circuit for the fuel pump.

Now what if he put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on. Would he put it where the sender was over the filter or up behind the intake? or use a Y fitting on the switch and tie into there?

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
Think I found a two prong from NPD. # K-1800-86A

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Before i get off topic I still want to sort out the 2 prong sending unit.

The pressure gauge is a different problem. The brass fitting I have has only one threaded hole for the sending unit. Is it supposed to be a Y for a second pressure sensor for the dash gauge? Because i have a wire connector with a heavy rubber boot covering it, just hanging out of the wire loom behind the distributor.

That sounds right. A TBI engine doesn't use a choke heater, so there is no need for a two terminal switch. The fitting behind the distributor is only for the sender at the end of the dash gauge sensing leg - so it only has one tapped hole. A gauge sender only uses one terminal, the body of the switch is grounded to the block. I would disregard the other unused harness connector, it is not needed. 1987 was the first year that the EFI system was standard equipment - actually it was the only choice available for most 1 & 2 series trucks. They probably just wanted to use up any remaining engine wiring harnesses the had left.

The two terminal oil switch pressure switch - used with a TBI system - is generally mounted down by the oil filter.

You must be registered for see images attach

The two terminal switch:

This the connector you are talking about?

If so, don't use it. It is only to provide the choke heater with power as soon as the engine develops oil pressure.

Last edited:

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
Chengy thanks that two terminal switch for the ecu/fuel pump you have above your oil filter is what's on the top of my block behind my distributor.Ill have to look tomo but the port above my fuel filter I think is just plugged. I'll have to get some pics tomo of the connector hanging connector.

The oil sensor for the gauge should be behind the distributor? And the sensor for the ecu/fuel pump should be above my filter?

Have you got part numbers for both sensors? And looks like I'll have to find another brass fitting too.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The oil sensor for the gauge should be behind the distributor? And the sensor for the ecu/fuel pump should be above my filter?

Maybe not. There is conflicting information. The 1985 - 1991 parts manuals only show two versions of the 350/5.7 engine:

One was the carbureted 350M - RPO code LT9. I think we can forget about that one because in 1987 I don't think available even as an option for a 3/4 ton truck. It had an oil pressure sender (if equipped with gauges) and also a pressure switch that activated the choke heater (and the low oil pressure light if not equipped with gauges). Both were mounted behind the distributor on a common fitting.

The other version was the TBI 5.7 - RPO code LO5. You can verify that this was the original engine (and engine management system) by checking the codes in the glove box.

But even assuming that your engine is throttle body injected, there is still a conflict with what the service manual indicates. Here is the dwg and list taken from the parts manual. Note that it shows a combination sensor (part 10137652) that powers both the fuel pump and the pressure gauge. It also shows the fitting as having just one threaded hole:

On the other hand, the service manual shows the two sensors in separate locations - and they are reversed from most other applications. Usually, from what I have seen, the sender for the gauge is up top and the switch for the fuel system is down by the oil filter:

That combination switch is available.

It requires that 3 leads be connected to it - like this:

Here is a simplified dwg of the circuit and 3 prong switch:

So if the fitting that is screwed into your block behind the distributor looks like this:

but there are only two leads connected to the harness plug, I don't know what to tell you. If you want a functioning oil pressure gauge, it looks like you are going to have to climb under the truck and look around in the area of the oil filter to see if you can find that third wire. It should be tan and - if it is connected to the proper sender - will provide a signal for the dash gauge.

Does the pipe plug above the oil filter look original or like someone recently screwed it in?

If I had to guess, I'd say that originally there were two sensors - not one combined unit. And, they were located as shown in the service manual - with the 2 lead switch up top and the single lead down low.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have not read everything in detail, but i have a what looks like factory stand off y splitter fitting for behind the distributer if you need it. I had two types of switches located there. I also might still have the two prong pressure switch that was there. $0.50 + shipping if you want it
Also have the old style single connector oil pressure sender. $2 + shipping

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That would be the easiest solution, but I don't think he knows where the tan lead for the gauge sensing leg even is yet.

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
Thanks for all the info!! Yes sorry i haven't verified the tan wire for the gauge sending unit yet if, I'm thinking its up top. Block is an 1983 LT9. I am thinking I will use the Y fitting for behind the distributor. This evening i can get back working on the truck

firebird

Reaction score
First Name
Brahm
Truck Year
Truck Model
3/4 ton
Engine Size
Okay tan wire with hard plastic body comes out of the wire loom behind the brake booster and is just laying behind the distributor.

The plug that goes to the long sending unit is only two wires.

I'm going to get a brass Y and screw in both sending units.

The port over my engine filter is plugged and I don't think the tan wire would even reach

Thanks for all the great info guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666