Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84stepside

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Good morning. I have an 84 Chevy Silverado Stepside with a 305/ TH350, electric choke that is having difficulty getting a reading at the gauges.

Things I’ve done
- changed temperature sending unit single spade connector
- changed fuse idle/gauge 20 amp
- tested wire for temperature sending unit to ground and gauge goes to full hot
- I have the oil pressure sending unit (single spade) connector but haven’t changed yet.
Traced wiring which is interesting in comparison to all the threads I have read here.

Pictures of what the wiring looks like.
Pic 1 - blue and green wire that come from inside the cab but green isn’t connected to anything. These 2 wires are connected to these 2 brown wires and one is free and the other connects to oil pressure sending unit next to distributor.
Pic 2 - location of where blue/green wire goes through firewall
Pic 3 - bulkhead wires wondering if I can just run the gauges/ sending units directly from here with more success?
Pic 4 - looks like I have oil sensor 3 wire.
Pic 5 - orange connector in middle is the open end of the green wire in the cab. Blue wire goes up behind dash..haven’t gone up to see what it goes to yet.

Thank you for any assistance. I know this topic has been covered and I have read a ton of threads but this seems to me slightly different than any other thread read so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6618.jpeg
    IMG_6618.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6619.jpeg
    IMG_6619.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6620.jpeg
    IMG_6620.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6622.jpeg
    IMG_6622.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 42

Chuckd84

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K20
Engine Size
Ive had issues with oil pressure readings caused by the circuit board behind the dash cluster. The bulbs for lighting the guages caused some heat damage over the years. Have you checked in there yet?

84stepside

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Actually just took the cluster out to put LED lights for the cluster. I didn’t see any burning or shorting of the circuit board. All the lights light up too. It’s a possibility but think it’s more wiring from the bulkhead then anything but I’ll check that tomorrow and update.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The oil pressure switch down by the oil filter is just for the electric choke circuitry and the choke light in the cluster. Is that system not working?

The oil pressure sender by the distributor is for the gauge. You can test the circuit the same way you did with the temp circuit.

As for your temp gauge issue, you either got a dud sender, or possibly you inadvertently bought a temp switch and not a sender. I suppose it's also possible that you are missing an engine-body ground.

84stepside

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ultimate face palm…looked up the senders and found out both were lights and not gauges. Changed to sending units for gauges and now it all works.

84stepside

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Great info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag