Oil Pressure Gauge Troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1979 K10 with a sbc 350 and looking for some help troubleshooting the Oil Pressure Gauge.

With the key off the oil pressure gauge reads 0, when in run position with engine off its at 0, when the engine is started it goes to 60 and when the engine is shut down it goes back to 0.

I figured it was a bad sending unit so I replaced it with a ACDelco p/n D8032 but the gauge is still doing the same thing.

Is there any way to test the gauge before I replace it or is there something else I should be looking at?

edit: Forgot to add that I made sure the wire going to the sending unit wasn't shorting out.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
no fluctuation in the gauge while reving or under load? Does it go down at all once it warms up?

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
If I Google'd correctly that part number is a switch not a sensor. So once it reaches the set pressure it goes from off to on. You need a sensor which has a variable output. Looks like you need a D8050.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Not that I've done it, but knowing how sensors work, you should read variable resistance at variable pressures on a sensor. Take an ohm meter to it (disconnected from the vehicle). It will fluctuate with none/more/less pressure to it. Just blow into it or use a syringe to put pressure on it. It should vary in readings. It should ramp up or down depending on the pressure put to it.

Your sending unit should look similar to this one:

You must be registered for see images attach

Not this one:

Last edited:

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not that I've done it, but knowing how sensors work, you should read variable resistance at variable pressures on a sensor. Take an ohm meter to it (disconnected from the vehicle). It will fluctuate with none/more/less pressure to it. Just blow into it or use a syringe to put pressure on it. It should vary in readings. It should ramp up or down depending on the pressure put to it.

Your sending unit should look similar to this one:

Not this one:

This is the sending unit I installed. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D8032-Professional-Pressure-Switch/dp/B000IZ00PW

Ill try using my air compressor to read the ohms.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Somewhat related.

The wire running from OPG to sending unit is shorting somewhere. Which wire coming from the firewall is for the OPSU? My plan is to cut it and run a new one. As of now, the wire is disconnected from the OPSU and the gauge stays pegged out.

Thanks.

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Somewhat related.

The wire running from OPG to sending unit is shorting somewhere. Which wire coming from the firewall is for the OPSU? My plan is to cut it and run a new one. As of now, the wire is disconnected from the OPSU and the gauge stays pegged out.

Thanks.

On my 79 its a tan wire just like the one that connects to the sending unit.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You can work through the attached page and make sure your guage is working correctly. I would also be paying attention to the condition of the ground for the instrument cluster as well as the connections to the guage on the back of the cluster. Be sure the wire has no continuity to ground with both the sender and the cluster unplugged.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=25339.0

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can work through the attached page and make sure your guage is working correctly. I would also be paying attention to the condition of the ground for the instrument cluster as well as the connections to the guage on the back of the cluster. Be sure the wire has no continuity to ground with both the sender and the cluster unplugged.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=25339.0

Thanks I sorta combined that idea with Camar068's suggestion up above and rigged a set up in the garage using a 12 volt battery and an air compressor. With this I was able to confirm my truck just has high oil pressure. I purchased it a few weeks ago not knowing much about its history other than the pile of receipts in the glove box that date from 95-02. Its only had 750 miles on it since 02.

With 60psi of shop air applied. (That white paint smears very easily.)

Made up a MS Paint drawing and hope it can be of help to others in the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04