Oil Pan Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
My oil pan is leaking both front and rear. Gonna put a 1 piece Felpro seal on it. Also my oil pressure seems kinda low. When hot @ idle I get about 25 at highway speeds I get just under 45. My manual says I should be at 45 @ 2,000 rpms. Should I replace the pump when I have the pan off? The truck has over 150k miles. Any think else I need to be aware of regarding pulling the pan. Truck is a K20 so I should have lots of room to drop the pan. Thanks.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I'm assuming you're using an auxillary pressure gauge, and not the factory one in the dash? Mine has bounced around from day one when it was purchased new. Unless it reads zero, I pay it no mind.

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
I'm assuming you're using an auxillary pressure gauge, and not the factory one in the dash? Mine has bounced around from day one when it was purchased new. Unless it reads zero, I pay it no mind.

I am using the factory guage with a NOS sending unit. Nice and steady but it could be off since it is factory. The old sending unit used to jump all around - the new one seems to behave like it should. You know. High pressure when the motor is cold. After a long highway drive it shows about 25 but when reved it never goes above 45.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
As long as you have pressure you are fine. Clean those mating surfaces really good. And if you decide to put a new oil pump in anyway, make sure you prime it in a bucket of oil, and make sure that pump shaft aligns right on the install.

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
Any recommendations on a good stock volume/pressure pump replacement?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Any recommendations on a good stock volume/pressure pump replacement?
I bought a hi flow one from JC Whitney and it worked fine, that was like 10 years ago on my '78 Burb.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I bought a high flow from Autozone life time warranty for 45.00. It works just fine.

82chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465
That pressure sounds alright. I dropped a new crate 350 4 bolt in my truck less then 2 years ago and from day one thats about the readings on my gauge. My gauge is a after market and I run a 10W30 oil. As for the seal, use a one piece rubber seal. I've used one on my old engine and didn't have a problem. So much easier to deal with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP