Off road carb setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Fix your link. It's not going to Summit. We don't know what you're talking about.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It goes to Summit but it's for "Edelbrock Carburetor Needle and Seats 1465" But still don't get it???. :confused:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It didn't go there for me. I get it. If it's some new kind of technology for working with angles, then it would make good sense. Heavy wheelers have fuel starvation and flooding problems at times due to angles and slopes. I'd be curious to see it. I've really wanted to go with a Vortec SFI or LS in my 4x4 truck for this reason. I'd like to cheap out and find a good carb system.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I guess they could work, they have a spring that would help keep the seat from jumping around.
You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Besides stuff like creek beds or eroded landforms, is there any strenuous terrain in Nebraska or neighboring areas? I imagine that a well tuned carb would do okay in your geographic situation. I couldn't say the same for aggressive mountain terrains, dunes, or localized places that have a high variance in elevation. Then again, my dad exported his '86 GMC Jimmy to Panama about 22 years ago so he could climb mountain rock paths and roads to get up into the highlands to see his property investments. Some of that stuff is steep, dangerous, and locally inaccessible unless you have access to a horse. Not necessarily rough just highly inclined. That old truck only had a 305 Q-Jet with manual locking hubs and no lift. No rejetting, same old factory tune, and it did well. That was a great truck to have waiting for you when you went on vacation. The first thing I ever drove and the image that made me want to get into square bodies, a Jimmy more specifically. Anyways, I digress.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Gonna do serious rough stuff, injection is the only way to go, it don't know if you're right side up or upside down, as long as it gets fuel it runs..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Good article..

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Gonna do serious rough stuff, injection is the only way to go, it don't know if you're right side up or upside down, as long as it gets fuel it runs..

Your fuel pump will know if you're upside down, lol. Propane for the win!

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Just kidding, kind of. Propane may be a little unnecessary for the average person and the occasional wheeling trip...BUT, you could go with a dual fuel setup like this: http://www.gotpropane.com/p539.html. I run propane on my dedicated rock crawler, and there is no substitute at extreme angles. It doesn't sound like the OP will be doing this kind of wheeling, but I think it would be cool to run a dual fuel setup on a squarebody.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just kidding, kind of. Propane may be a little unnecessary for the average person and the occasional wheeling trip...BUT, you could go with a dual fuel setup like this: http://www.gotpropane.com/p539.html. I run propane on my dedicated rock crawler, and there is no substitute at extreme angles. It doesn't sound like the OP will be doing this kind of wheeling, but I think it would be cool to run a dual fuel setup on a squarebody.

that would be awesome... but like you said, maybe not for my application lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Your fuel pump will know if you're upside down, lol. Propane for the win!
All the pump does is pump fuel, it don't have a clue what position it's in, like I said "as long as it has fuel it'll run".... Propane is a good way to go though..

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
so I got bored and was doing some reading. I came across these

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...-_-edelbrock&gclid=CL7BptvC4tACFQaOaQodTNsB9Q

... anyway I was just wondering if anyone has done this or not. I cant say I plan on going off road a ton, but when I do occasionally, why not be prepared right?

I have ran that set up on an eddie carb that was on my 74 longbed and it worked very well everywhere except really steep side hills . I am not an eddie carb fan myself but thats just me. Took the eddie off and went to a new jet , q-jet and it was way better on and offroad. Now on all my square's I run q-jets , I am a fan.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have ran that set up on an eddie carb that was on my 74 longbed and it worked very well everywhere except really steep side hills . I am not an eddie carb fan myself but thats just me. Took the eddie off and went to a new jet , q-jet and it was way better on and offroad. Now on all my square's I run q-jets , I am a fan.

So you're saying a Q Jet in OEM form worked better than the worked over Eddie Carb for off-road use too? I really want injection on my off-road truck, but I figured it would have to be TBI and that's just a gutless wonder IMO. Sure you can Dr it up a bit, but still only so much you can do. I'd like to be in the 300hp range. LS would be the way to go, but the budget isn't going to allow that for quite some time. So I'll probably have to stick with a carb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade