Nooob with Cab & Chassis questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schlagger

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Hey guys and gals,

I bought a 1983 C30 Dually box truck. I wanted a flatbed base, and was also in need of a small shed, so I just removed the box. Under that was a rednecked dual fuel tank setup, so I removed the second tank, the switch, and all of the extra pluming, going back to the stock setup.

The truck was running fine before, but now will start right up, run for 3 seconds and die. Every time. Anybody have a thought as to what might cause this? Could the mechanical pump have gone bad just from sitting a couple months?

Also, right before I got it, the PO switched to an open air filter. I still have all the old stuff.

Anyways I'm glad to be here and excited to build this truck! I wonder if a 14' steel flatbed will weigh too much...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
1. Welcome
2. Are you sure the dual tank was redneck engineering?
3. Did you connect the right lines when elimination the dual tanks?
4. Are you sure there is fuel in the other tank?
5. Are you sure the other tank worked before?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

More pix please!

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
While you were working on it what else did you touch that you may have forgotten?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
1. Welcome
2. Are you sure the dual tank was redneck engineering?
3. Did you connect the right lines when elimination the dual tanks?
4. Are you sure there is fuel in the other tank?
5. Are you sure the other tank worked before?
Welcome to GMSB !!!

I'll ditto @4WDKC questions. You did something wrong here. Chances are the 2nd fuel tank wasn't redneck but factory OEM. All it would take is a vent line or canister purge line to be wrong, or even if you may have moved the hoses around and being old and brittle might have cracked one so it's sucking air etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, you made a great purchase. Looks like a good shape C&C (Cab and Chassis) truck with the long wheel base. It has nothing to do with your fuel issue, but do know for future reference when order rear parts, brakes, shocks, axle parts etc, you'll need to specify it's a C&C truck because they are different than C30 pick ups that had a Dana 70 rear axle. Also the spring perchs are different too so if you go swapping a Pick Up rear axle in it, it's not a direct bolt in.

I'd think a 14ft steel bed is fine, but it'll depend more on what guage and size of the materials the bed is made out of.

Schlagger

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Here's some more pics. The tank was not factory OEM. The brackets were homemade, and it didn't sit correctly. The long tube you see extended across the back of the cab so you could fill both tanks from the same side. It seems like it would be hard to screw up the lines, since there are only 3, and they are different sizes (at least the fuel lines are different). I already got a new sending unit, so I think I'll put that in and run new rubber fuel line from the tank to the hard lines in the frame rail.

HotRodPC-thanks for that info on the C&C. When I search for parts on Rock Auto, it references "Ryder Truck" for some parts. Is that what they are taking about? I added a pic of the rear axle.

Schlagger

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Looks like I'm spring shopping too.

Schlagger

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Rare 2 piece spring option?

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Welcome from Texas

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The reason they ask if it's a Ryder truck is because Ryder told GM and Ford what they wanted built to their specs so the parts are different in many cases. For example, the E350 I bought from Ryder was actually an E450 all day long and the wiring harness was different. Things like the odometer lit up when you opened the door. This is so the lease agents didn't have to pull the keys and turn it on to get mileage readings. The governor was also electronic and part of the actual wiring harness too. The rear axle and brakes were E450 brakes. They did this to keep the GVWR down because some states would have required a CDL if the GVWR went over a certain # so they kept it rated at an E350 and called it that. So I'm sure they did the same things on the Ryder Chevy Chassis too.

Schlagger

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
The reason they ask if it's a Ryder truck is because Ryder told GM and Ford what they wanted built to their specs so the parts are different in many cases. For example, the E350 I bought from Ryder was actually an E450 all day long and the wiring harness was different. Things like the odometer lit up when you opened the door. This is so the lease agents didn't have to pull the keys and turn it on to get mileage readings. The governor was also electronic and part of the actual wiring harness too. The rear axle and brakes were E450 brakes. They did this to keep the GVWR down because some states would have required a CDL if the GVWR went over a certain # so they kept it rated at an E350 and called it that. So I'm sure they did the same things on the Ryder Chevy Chassis too.

Good info, thanks. I guess I'll just buy parts locally with the old ones in hand to make sure I get the right stuff. I figure it could have been a Ryder since it had a box on it. The frame has been stretched as well, and it has a hydraulic lift on the back.

Schlagger

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Here's another angle that shows the factory tank (left) and the one I removed (right). Based on the "filler neck", the way the tank was mounted, and the secondary fuel gauge mounted under the dash (and a cheapo toggle switch), I'm pretty confident that the tank wasn't factory. If anybody is near central NM and wants that tank, come and get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus