No fuel to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Okay I'm having trouble with that pic.Inlet of the electric pump should be lower than the fuel level.Outlet of the electric pump should be slightly higher than the inlet height.

I got a gas pump sittin on top of the tank..

Rubber line collapsed was a thought. Sucking closed or some ****.?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm still doing some stuff the way I learned it first time I did it.1st electric pump I installed said mount it below fuel level as close to the tank as possible and outlet at an upward angle.Ive always assumed that with the pump inlet being the lowest point fuel wouldn't siphon back to the tank outlet being higher would assure there was always fuel sitting in the pump to prevent dry starts.How I learned and ain't unlearned it.

BTW. Saw the blather today, thanks, it was a breathe of fresh air.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I got noooooo idea if it's right or wrong much less who determines that. Not pickin a fight i used to have an old....Chrysler....umm.....Cordoba?
No..a weirder name than that...early 80s? 1982...Dodge....MIRADA!
Tan, straight 6.
Great car , would buy again!
It's M.R.Gasket pump from the shelf at O'Reillys was mounted on the damn passenger WHEEL WELL , next to the frickin battery.
When I got where I was goin, had to get out, pop the hood and disconnect he fuel pump from the battery.

Bought it like that, drove it as long as I wanted and sold it like that. About 15-20 years ago.
It pulled gas the whole length of the car for MONTHS , daily. The carbureted L98 in the C20 is sittin right next to the tank outlet and pushes.

Six in one half a dozen in the other, people say all kinds of crap about mounting fuel pumps...somebody said he had to keep his submerged in gas...?

Okay!

Maybe thats true in his application but there are certainly many ways to skin a cat.

:patriot:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Well just for fun I looked up your pump.Its supposed to be mounted low but more importantly it says right on the intallation instructions, that that pump is not internally regulated and will require a fuel pressure regulator. I personally am not a fan of add on regulators, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I' ve said before on a different thread I 've run 2 different fuel pressure regulators in my life and one starved the engine for fuel.It was that Mr. gasket one.The expensive Holley one I bought worked like a champ. I just skimmed the instructions. and those were things I noticed.Reread your instructions carefully.Im just trying to help, not tell you what to do.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I got noooooo idea if it's right or wrong much less who determines that. Not pickin a fight i used to have an old....Chrysler....umm.....Cordoba?
Tan, straight 6.
It's M.R.Gasket pump from the shelf at O'Reillys was mounted on the damn passenger WHEEL WELL , next to the frickin battery.
When I got where I was goin, had to get out, pop the hood and disconnect he fuel pump from the battery.

Bought it like that, drove it as long as I wanted and sold it like that.
It pulled gas the whole length of the car for MONTHS , daily. The carbureted L98 in the C20 is sittin right next to the tank outlet and pushes.

Six in one half a dozen in the other, people say all kinds of crap about mounting fuel pumps...somebody said he had to keep his submerged in gas...?

Okay!

Maybe thats true in his application but there are certainly many ways to skin a cat.

Thats incredible.. I think his biggest issue is the instructions I read for his.pump specifically said, not internally regulated you must use an external regulator.That may explain the inconsistent drivability. Almost forgot

Jibber Jabber Jibber Jabber.

Last edited:

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
There’s a link to the instructions on the first page, no need to look them up. Yes I saw the instructions say it would require a regulator. But I was already home and thought at 2-3.5 psi and running into the mechanical fuel pump it might work ok. I have two other carb trucks with electric helper pumps and no regulator that drive fine. First chance I had I bought a regulator. But I appreciate the heads up on the mr gasket regulator, I prefer holley but this was all they had in stock. Tomorrow I will check the sending unit and install the regulator/block of plate.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Tan, straight 6.

Bought it like that, drove it as long as I wanted and sold it like that.

Okay!

Okay now that's info I can use.What pump is on the C20? How old is it? Remember I just had the great fuel pump fiasco of 2020.So if what your running has been trouble free I should expect similiar results.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think thats it.

Its not proven on the street in that truck, just sits in that shop but I put it in at least two years ago.
It'll be fine ? Brian wired it up to the key..
Rick watched him.
It dont got no regulator on it...

Holley makes a little one like that too for $50.
Im runnin off advice from Gary Camaro and my experience with the Mirada.
It WAS fine.

Nobody says it wont work...that dodge putted around fine, never thought about it I dont think. :shrug:

The Mirada might have had the red one through. Im not sure but only because I dont remember. Dunno the difference eiher but there is a red sticker one.

M.r. gasket regulators with the dial?
Yeah they suck.

Last edited:

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
I removed the fuel sending unit from the tank, lines didnt feel clogged when I put the air compressor to it. no parts stores in town had one in stock and earliest eta was Monday at autozone but you have to pay before they order the part so might aswell order one from summit. I reinstalled the old sending unit. I didn’t open the mr gasket regulator, I’ll return it when I’m in town. Installed the mechanical fuel pump block off plate and added a plastic fuel filter to help see the fuel. So to re-cap I’m running the tank into the electric pump into metal fuel filter into factory metal line into a fuel hose with plastic filter into the carb. Electric fuel pump is wired to the ignition, the truck started right up, let it idle for a while, drove 15 minutes to gas up and drove 30min to town without any problems. No sputtering on the interstate or high rpm, no vapor locking coming off the interstate to a stop light. Knock on wood, but seems to be good lol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah but where is it mounted? On top of the gas tank?
We need more details Lu and moar pix.
Youre the guinea pig all of a sudden.

World progresses to 2020 and this board does not contain a vast history of the types of pumps we've been talking about..as-if we are settling it right now!

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
I mounted it on the carrier bearing crossmember. That way I was able to run my power wire along the original harness. its forward of the crossmember that bridges the fuel line. There was already two holes drilled in the crossmember that lined up perfect for the pump so I mounted it there. The electric pump seems about level with the factory metal fuel lines. I know the pump could be lower when compared to the tank but I figured it was low enough to test. Here’s another pic of when I was installing. I’m sure you could install the pump after the tank switching valve and keep the dual tanks. That’s how the red dawg is plumbed and both tanks work.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
2-3.5 psi edelbrock

Mr gasket and Holley both say 4-7

They're all the same -ish except that difference ...

Very freaking nice Lu.
:angels2::cheers:

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
Yesterday I drove the truck 150 miles to High Country Performance 4x4 in Englewood CO. The shop comes highly recommended, I’m having them install the ord crossover kit with swaybar, weld on frame repair, PSC steering box & shaft. should be done Wednesday. the truck drove great, never gave me any fuel troubles. No vapor locking or stalling when I stopped for gas or when I hit stop go traffic. Seemed to have plenty of power on the interstate. Was getting less than 10mpg but with 4.10 gears running 75-80mph the motors at 3500rpm.

sometimes you get used to the old trucks driving you, meaning you can’t just tell the truck what to do, you play by it’s rules and quirks to get where you’re going. I’ve been putting a lot of time money n parts into the old dually and with the recent clutch work, electric fuel pump and new rotors n calipers n lines n pads, it drove worry free. The truck would do what I wanted when I told it to. Nice to finally have confidence in my 40 yr old square

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes