no fuel=no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey guys I'm new here but see there's a wealth of knowledge so hopefully y'all can help me out. I have an 87 k10 I bought off a buddy. It has the stock tbi on a stock 350. Its been sitting half assembled for about 12 yrs after a cab swap. I plan on restoring it but want to get it running first. It ran fine when it was parked but time has taken a toll on it. The problem I'm having is I have to prime it to get it started and it will only run off of the prime. I dropped both tanks before I tried to start it and they were pretty gummed up. I cleaned one out and tested the fuel pump. It works fine and comes on for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on. However the fuel selector switch is not working so I'm using a set of jumpers wires in the plug to get power to the tank. I changed the fuel filter and cracked the line at the tbi and there is fuel up to there. I have not tore into the tbi yet but considering how gummed up the tanks were I wouldn't be surprised if the tbi was the same way. Also, something keeps draining the battery, don't know if that has anything to do with it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Alright tonight I took the injectors out and cleaned out the tbi it was pretty dirty. It starts now but is running pretty bad and is backfireing through the intake. Tomorrow I'm going to check the timing.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How's the spray pattern on the injectors? If they are just drizzling fuel out of them, they need replaced (assuming good fuel pressure). If it's a nice fine mist with a cone shaped spray pattern, they are fine.

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
How's the spray pattern on the injectors? If they are just drizzling fuel out of them, they need. replaced (assuming good fuel pressure). If it's a nice fine mist with a cone shaped spray pattern, they are fine.

Not sure about the spray pattern on both injectors. I'm pretty sure driver side was not spraying much if at all. Once it started I was going to look at that until it backfired in my face. I didn't need those eyebrows anyway. Haha. If I disconnect the coil wire to eliminate any chance of igniting any more fuel in my face will the injectors still spray? I assume they will but I don't know much about injection systems. And also do both injectors spray at start up?
Thanks.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Not sure about the spray pattern on both injectors. I'm pretty sure driver side was not spraying much if at all. Once it started I was going to look at that until it backfired in my face. I didn't need those eyebrows anyway. Haha. If I disconnect the coil wire to eliminate any chance of igniting any more fuel in my face will the injectors still spray? I assume they will but I don't know much about injection systems. And also do both injectors spray at start up?
Thanks.

Yeah, they will, but you will need a friend to crank it over, unless you have a remote switch. You may just want to tak the (drivers side of throttle body)fuel line off, and stick a hose over it, and just run fuel into a clean white bucket to make sure you are getting clean fulel to the injectors.
Also, switch the wires around on the injectors to see if the other one fires, then your problem may be in the injector wiring, which is easy tomfigure out. Just an FYI, the green and white wired injector plug goes on the drivers side injector.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you have it running, might try some SeaFoam treatment in the fuel. Maybe it can clean the fuel system and injectors and make some improvements.

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yeah, they will, but you will need a friend to crank it over, unless you have a remote switch. You may just want to tak the (drivers side of throttle body)fuel line off, and stick a hose over it, and just run fuel into a clean white bucket to make sure you are getting clean fulel to the injectors.
Also, switch the wires around on the injectors to see if the other one fires, then your problem may be in the injector wiring, which is easy tomfigure out. Just an FYI, the green and white wired injector plug goes on the drivers side injector.

I'll try it tonight when I get home. There currently is no windshield in it so I should be able to crank it over and check out the spray pattern by myself. On the other hand maybe I could get a buddy to stick his head over that flame thrower. Haha. Thanks for the tips.

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well I checked the injectors and one wasn't spraying so I swapped the connectors and still no change so I put another injector in it and at last she's running again and pretty good too. There where also some vacuum lines I found that had rotted. So thanks for everyones help. I'm sure I'll be back on here with some more issues to resolve.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cool beans man! If you end up having a high idle and all the hoses and lines look good, just go ahead and unbolt the throttle body and then replace the gasket.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great. Thanks for the update. I'd still run some seafoam thru your fuel system. Make sure the other injector gets a good bath too and doesn't fail soon.

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yup, got a rich mixture in the tank right now. No where near road ready yet but I'm anxious to go cruise it. Might have to throw a bucket in it and go down the dirt roads. Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CmuCmu