New truck, New Member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Just checked ebay with no luck. There is a big swap meet on april 29 - may 1 that i might just look for 2 matching mud tires.

You must be registered for see images

Not sure how i am going to fix this.

Welcome to the forum! I like the k20.

The cracks you pictured look like cracked out bondo to me. If you let moisture get in or under your bondo it will eventually crack like that.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welcome to the forum! I like the k20.

The cracks you pictured look like cracked out bondo to me. If you let moisture get in or under your bondo it will eventually crack like that.

Does it have to be pretty thick bondo to crack that bad??

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I will share the scenario of how I would fix that if I owned the pickup. After replacing all the rockers I would be kinda burnt out on the body work. The one place you can slack a little bit on body work is the top of the cab, especially with it being so tall! I would pop off those pieces of bondo and work on sanding the remaining bondo out and redo skin it depending on how deep the dents are that got filled.

If your going for a show quality fix for something really low to the ground I would cut the entire roof skin off and weld in a new one.

please share the advice your dad gives since he's the professional because im interested. *disclaimer* I've only painted one pickup by myself and helped a buddy prep a few of his customers cars, never done it professionally.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I hope a lot of water didn't get into those cracks and start a cancer inside the roof you can't see, that's what happened to my rear inner body walls after the inner wheel wells cracked open.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That looks like cracking/lifting bondo to me, like the top got caved in at some point in time and someone filled it with bondo, then it cracked and water got in there and started streaking rust. I have a place on my bed side that looks just like that. I would take one of those 3M filler stripper wheels in a drill and just go after it, strip out as much as you have to. Then instead of using plastic bondo, fill it with the green fiberglass bondo. A little more expensive but 10x as durable.

By the way, that K20 looks great, that's a good truck to start out with!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice sled! :High 5:

Attachments

• dscf3597z.jpg
    dscf3597z.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 112

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, that's old cracked filler in the roof. You need to get it off of there and see how rusted the metal is. If it's not bad, you can pull out the dents with a stud gun, then smooth it out with a quality filler.

Chevyk20

Reaction score
First Name
Jarett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
I will share the scenario of how I would fix that if I owned the pickup. After replacing all the rockers I would be kinda burnt out on the body work. The one place you can slack a little bit on body work is the top of the cab, especially with it being so tall! I would pop off those pieces of bondo and work on sanding the remaining bondo out and redo skin it depending on how deep the dents are that got filled.

If your going for a show quality fix for something really low to the ground I would cut the entire roof skin off and weld in a new one.

please share the advice your dad gives since he's the professional because im interested. *disclaimer* I've only painted one pickup by myself and helped a buddy prep a few of his customers cars, never done it professionally.

Well my dad said the same thing as you said, break the bondo out, sand it all down then fill it in again. He said they probably just didnt pound the dent out far enough and thats the reason for it all. And yes i hope she doesnt start getting cancer! We will find out in a few weeks though.:grd:

Nice sled! :High 5:

Thanks! thats my 08 yamaha nytro. Got a good deal on it on ebay (or so we thought), turns out it was rolled and the whole sub frame was bent. I have had that sled completely stripped down many times, but its still fun to ride!

Chevyk20

Reaction score
First Name
Jarett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
oh! and by the way, nice arrows 89suburban

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB ChevyK20. Glad to have you here. Nice start for a project you have there. I wish I had something like that to start off with at 17. :waytogo:
Just so you know, and giving you fair warning since technically you're still considered a minor, we are pretty laid back with the lingo around here, so you might likley see some wirty dords flying around occasionally. Probably nothing worse than you hear at shcool, but just so you been warned. :High 5:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
We cuss like mother fuckers on this forum, Hot rod is the worse about it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We cuss like mother fuckers on this forum, Hot rod is the worse about it.

Like hell. I throw the occasional wirty dord out there, but sure don't cuss like some of you do. I didn't want to make light of it, just wanted to pass on warning, he might see things, or his parents might see things not always appropriate. Of course by 17 I'm sure he can handle it. Just don't want him leaving screens up if he has younger bros and sisters that are nosey and read **** left up is all.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Like hell. I throw the occasional wirty dord out there, but sure don't cuss like some of you do. I didn't want to make light of it, just wanted to pass on warning, he might see things, or his parents might see things not always appropriate. Of course by 17 I'm sure he can handle it. Just don't want him leaving screens up if he has younger bros and sisters that are nosey and read **** left up is all.

You are right, I am ashamed. :Moon:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody