new to the forum, shop recs for SF Bay Area?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonuniform

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Hey there, new here. Looking to learn more about working on my 1989 Suburban v2500 350, and just connecting with other like minded folks. Bought it a couple of years ago from the original owner with 106k miles, now has 129k. Mainly use it for camping, dirt roads in the desert, towing the CJ5 and serving as base camp!

Starting to need some repairs. Some I can do, some I don't have the tools or shop space.

Where should I post a note to find out if anyone has shop recommendations in the SF Bay Area? Most shops just want to work on Hondas etc around here.

Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB. Hopefully we'll have someone in the San Francisoc Bay area that might have a recommendation.

BTW, Don't take it personal, but I'll have to correct Francisoc typo in your details or my OCD won't let me sleep.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, San Francisco looks better now, and I corrected your Time Zone from Eastern to Pacific so now you'll see time postings correctly.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Ha good luck finding a good shop around here. I grew up and have yet to find a fantastic one. But here are my thoughts on some of them.

At work we deliver to red hill auto in San Anselmo, Tim over there is knowledgeable and they are often working on older domestics. I have never been a customer but a guy who works at the parts store with me has a bunch of old cars and he always gets them fixed there.

Smog pros in San Rafael is great for smog and maintenance stuff. I've taken my stuff there for oil changes when I don't have time. My mother went here for a long time too with her Honda and they were ok. Wouldn't recommend for bigger jobs though.

I used to go to DNA automotive in San Rafael but I wouldn't recommend them anymore. Ever since they expanded to a bigger building they seem to not really care anymore about quality of work.

Sears at Northgate in San Rafael is good for alignments. You can kill time at the mall while you wait.

Not a fan of Cains tire though most people seem to love them because "they're local" but they treated my square like **** when I took it on to spend $800 on tires.

Jorge at Car shop in San Rafael on lindaro is really helpful and reasonable rates.

Juan at Peruva in San Rafael right by burger king has done some rush services on my Ford and they have a huge mix of stuff they work on. If you are in a hurry and need something done super fast take it there.

Hope that's helpful!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site..

nonuniform

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
OK, San Francisco looks better now, and I corrected your Time Zone from Eastern to Pacific so now you'll see time postings correctly.

Thank you!! I'm with you on the typo thing.

nonuniform

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Hi mistaake! Thank you for the recommendations. I need to do front suspension work and then I'm going to put on new tires and get an alignment. Figured I'd get the balljoints and steering linkages done first, then the tires and alignment. About to tackle the tilt steering column looseness.

Thanks everyone for the welcome messages.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Welcome to the forum. Are you actually in SF or greater Bay Area? I used to live in Brentwood and have a few shops I can refer you to depending on what type the repairs your looking for.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

Forum statistics

Threads