New member intro and questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Hi im new here been a lurker here for a long time drooling over all of you guys sweet rigs and dreaming of building my own for quit some time. I am auto mechanic by trade but completely new to the 4x4 world and preety dumb when it comes to this stuff. I just purchased my build rig a 1990 gmc suburban. My goal is to build it into a capable family hauling off road,camping,ext. I want to keep it streatable because i want to drive it to and from the trail. Its being built to take my family off road and camping and check out national parks and trails ect... so here it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
So it came with 14b ff rear with 4.11 and detroit locker. Dana 60 front open diff with with 4.11 gears. Crossover high mount steering with howe ram assist steering. Gm rebuilt 700r4 with 100 miles on it. 37in mc thompson tires. 6in bds lift with blocks in rear and just leafs lift in front. Has what appears to be origional tbi 350 with 258k miles but runs pretty well. Its realitivly rust free which is nice it is going to need a bunch of misclanious work ect... so my question i hear lifts using blocks are no good so i would like to fix that. What would you reccamend for off road capable but still streatable. I was thinking about pulling the blocks from the rear and going with ORD rear shackel flip? Would this keep the vehicle level? Would i be able still clear the 37s without trimming. I could use any advise you can give i know there are much more knowladgeable people then me here so help me out thanks mike

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Very nice looking truck :welcome:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Nice score. A 6" block is pretty big. The largest I've used is a 4". ORD makes some nice parts. I have a few on my 79 K15 and it's quality stuff. I have not used the shackle kit though. Buying a 6" lift rear spring would be easier since you won't have to chisel or cut all the rivets on the spring hangers.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Nice score. A 6" block is pretty big. The largest I've used is a 4". ORD makes some nice parts. I have a few on my 79 K15 and it's quality stuff. I have not used the shackle kit though. Buying a 6" lift rear spring would be easier since you won't have to chisel or cut all the rivets on the spring hangers.
I have not measured the block but its pretty big. Guy i boight it from said it has bds 6in lift and i noticed the rear has blocks front is all spring maybe the rear is a combo of springs and blocks ill have to measure

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
I just measured the blocks are measuring out at four and a quarter inch I assume that means they're four inch

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This is a nice truck that has been very well taken care of. That 258,000 miles on the 350 is quite impressive to me. I know that they've lasted longer, but there are plenty that don't make it to that number. Make sure you take care of everything that motor needs like oil and coolant regularly so it'll go for another while.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Going to continue to take good care of it but I do have a 6.0 engine swap plan in the future but it may be distant future.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
So it has 17 in rims i believe 7.5 in wide and they must be ofset strange or something because they have wheel spacers behind them which are not really leaving enough lug stud showing but if i take the spacers off the rims rub the tie rods up front. Can anyone tell me what i should be looking for in rims i know i need 17in for the tires i have and 8 lug but beyond that i know nothing any advice on what size would fit and or what vehicles they would have com on stock would be great. A rim that would allow me to take off the wheel spacers would be nice. Thanks for any advice

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You have Dodge truck wheels on there now. You have an 8 lug x 6.5" bolt circle. A nice wheel is those for a H2. They are 17 x 8.5". I'm not sure of the back spacing, but maybe someone can cime in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade