New driveline choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
south of allentown, upper milford twp, about an hour away from you. might be coming your way soon,going to be working on a pepperidge farms expansion. other cars are a 65 #3 c2 4speed convert. and a 03 ssr vin 00156 in black.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
south of allentown, upper milford twp, about an hour away from you. might be coming your way soon,going to be working on a pepperidge farms expansion. other cars are a 65 #3 c2 4speed convert. and a 03 ssr vin 00156 in black.
Oh really what do you do? There was talk of us doing something there but whoever spec’d It found some good drugs and went off the deep end lol Monday and Tuesday I’ll be up your way at Mack trucks lol

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Most reason noone runs 400's is because most of them melted from overheating :p LOL The 400 was a decent block until you did anything that increased its power output and then it did have problems keeping cool but I often wonder if you were to combine it with a big aluminum radiator and some adequate electric fans it would not fare a little better than it did back in the day.

Have one in the vette in the pic .030 over, 10.5 ish:1 fastburn heads 234/244 .489/.510 112 moves the car real good, factory 4 core brass could barely keep it below 190 on interestate at 2k rpm. Swapped in a cheap alum. 2 core and can get it barely below 185 on the interstate, just enough to turn off the Volvo fan. Have a Dewitts radiator supposedly over kill for cooling those cars, we will see how it does.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
i'm a semi retired commercial plumber for Dual Temp co. in A Town. I am 2 miles from Mack. what kind of work for you?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
i'm a semi retired commercial plumber for Dual Temp co. in A Town. I am 2 miles from Mack. what kind of work for you?
Overhead traveling cranes

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is it boys! Money is set aside, just have to fix the electrical problem and I’m pulling the trigger!

You must be registered for see images attach

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Vin K engines were pretty much the worst of the small blocks FWIW but maybe this one has upgrades that are endeaering.

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Vin K engines were pretty much the worst of the small blocks FWIW but maybe this one has upgrades that are endeaering.

It’s high compression and comes with a chip to make 300/360. Its an 87 so TBI is already set up. I don’t **** with carbs, I’m actually goin to drive this thing

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
This is it boys! Money is set aside, just have to fix the electrical problem and I’m pulling the trigger!

It's odd that it's 400 dollars cheaper on my browser,

If you're not trying to win the next enginemasters it seems like a solid enough choice, if you just want a complete solution.

You could save quite a bit of money by simply buying a GM crate engine and sticking a cam in it.

This gives you everything in one and you don't have to do alot of thinking or sift through the ridiculous ideas of internet people who want to spend all your money for you lol. it also bolts to your transmission and uses everything you already have, fuel system, accessories, etc.

On the flip side, like I said, you could save a bit by doing the GM crate, but to be honest, there aren't alot of people out there burning chips anymore, so if West Coast is offering one, that's another point in their favor, imo.

LS swaps are cool and all, I have one, I'm doing another, but there is alot of fiddling, wiring, and making thing's work. You seem like you want a plug and play solution, and I think you've made a pretty solid choice here. The one caveat is the 91 octane requirement. Running premium add's up in the long term if it's a daily.

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's odd that it's 400 dollars cheaper on my browser,

If you're not trying to win the next enginemasters it seems like a solid enough choice, if you just want a complete solution.

You could save quite a bit of money by simply buying a GM crate engine and sticking a cam in it.

This gives you everything in one and you don't have to do alot of thinking or sift through the ridiculous ideas of internet people who want to spend all your money for you lol. it also bolts to your transmission and uses everything you already have, fuel system, accessories, etc.

On the flip side, like I said, you could save a bit by doing the GM crate, but to be honest, there aren't alot of people out there burning chips anymore, so if West Coast is offering one, that's another point in their favor, imo.

LS swaps are cool and all, I have one, I'm doing another, but there is alot of fiddling, wiring, and making thing's work. You seem like you want a plug and play solution, and I think you've made a pretty solid choice here. The one caveat is the 91 octane requirement. Running premium add's up in the long term if it's a daily.

It's 400 cheaper for the base package. I added the intake and a few other things. The 91 octane isn't a deal breaker for me because while it will be a daily, I live, work, and shop in a relatively small down. It takes me 3 minutes to get to work. I went out looking for a 300hp engine with FI that wouldn't be crazy difficult or break the bank. This fits all those requirements and even with my 3 star mechanic skills I should be back on the road after just a couple weekends of work. Not trying to be that infamous guy that's been "almost done" with his truck for 2 years and it's still in pieces. We all know one!

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
It's 400 cheaper for the base package. I added the intake and a few other things. The 91 octane isn't a deal breaker for me because while it will be a daily, I live, work, and shop in a relatively small down. It takes me 3 minutes to get to work. I went out looking for a 300hp engine with FI that wouldn't be crazy difficult or break the bank. This fits all those requirements and even with my 3 star mechanic skills I should be back on the road after just a couple weekends of work. Not trying to be that infamous guy that's been "almost done" with his truck for 2 years and it's still in pieces. We all know one!

Ah I see lol.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, convenience has value also.

Like I said, the only thing I'd worry about is the 91, for you that's not an issue, so it should be a good engine and keep you going for another 35 years.

I wouldn't bother with any of their upgrades though like the chrome or roller rockers.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
What heads are on that engine?

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What heads are on that engine?

Hmm... Apparently stock... Would be better with vortec huh?

Engine Specs

Horsepower: 300

Torque: 360

Fuel: 91 Octane

Pistons: NEW (Hypereutectic/Silvolite)

Rings: NEW (Federal Mogul)

Connecting Rods: Reman (Stock GM)

Rod Bolts: NEW (Pioneer)

***Heads: Stock Cast Iron***

Cam: NEW Roller (Melling)

Cam Specs: 203/203 Duration - 114 LS

Crankshaft: Cast Iron (All Round-Radius Ground)

Bearings: NEW (KING Performance)

Balancer: NEW (Pioneer)

Timing Cover: Stock

Oil Pan: NEW (Engine Quest)

Push Rods: NEW (Pioneer)

Paint Job: Custom Color

Gasket Kit: NEW (DC/Victor Reinz/Fel-Pro)

Rockers: NEW (Elgin)

Rocker Arm Studs: NEW (Pioneer)

Intake Manifold: NEW (Edelbrock)

Rod Bearings: NEW (KING Performance)

Lifters: NEW (Pioneer)

Freeze Plugs: NEW (Brass/Pioneer)

Timing Set: NEW (Melling)

Balanced: Yes

Spin Tested: Yes

Modifications Required: No

Core: $350

RPM Range: 1600-5000 RPM's