Never ending oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Glad you fixed it and hopefully that was it and you can drive it and not worry about leaking oil.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Glad you fixed it and hopefully that was it and you can drive it and not worry about leaking oil.

I think she is all oil tight now! At least for now (knock on wood) I guess for me its not such a problem as it is an inconvenience. I don't want to have to worry about my oil level when we go on a longer drive. I have heard a lot of people tell me the whole. "Its an old chevy motor, they always leak" kind of BS and some do, but if I can stop mine from leaking I'd like to. Besides I gots my shiny go fast parts on now so I gotta keep them somewhat clean, Right? Haven't got the ceramic headers on yet tho :banghead:

You must be registered for see images attach

mr_anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Took out the sender unit and little angled piece. I didn't notice any fresh oil leaking but I put some ultra black on both piece's threads. Put everything back in.

You put silicone on the threads? Not only is that not the appropriate sealant for threads, the sending unit and corresponding hole are pipe threads (aka 'NPT') and don't require sealant.

It was designed that way, because there needs to be good metal-to-metal contact between the electric sending unit and the engine block for it to work right. Sealants prevent that metal-to-metal contact.

Now you get to clean that silicone out of that hard to get to hole, when you eventually replace your sending unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli