Is it even possible to have a completely leakless 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a 1974 C10 with a 350 2bbl that has never been out of the truck. My wife wouldn't let me park it on the driveway if it leaked. Yes, the motor is 5 decades of grease, but nothing liquid.
I have a 1980 K15 that has a very slight ooze from the passenger side cork valve cover gasket. Maybe a drip a week.
Yes, I have had the ones that needed diapers, but it is possible to have an anteeky truck that doesn't leak.

Kind of disagree. Yes, older design small blocks can be leak free....... for a while. However, with age or high miles haven't ever seen it. Have tried everything I could think of. At some point before the motor is worn out it will leak.

GM has made improvements in sealing. Examples are valve covers, oil pan rail/gasket and 1-piece rear main on Vortec. Those engines are much better at keeping the oil inside.

It's my guess the EPA had some input on engine oil leaks. A lot of manufacturers changed sealing designs about the same time.
I think I tend to agree with what most everyone is saying. Yes a SBC can be leak free, but it's going to involve maintenance and replacing gaskets as needed to keep it that way for as long as possible. I've installed some properly built stock or near stock 350's in squares at the shop that are leak a few years later.

Like @fast 99 was saying these engines just aren't built the same as newer engines. Look at the valve covers, 4 bolts holding a tin cover on a rounded sealing surface with from the factory a cork gasket that called for retightening?!?! Nobody can tell me that's a great scenario. Can we do things to get that to seal up, ya sure of course we can but it's not going to be forever.

Like @GTX63 my 305 has build up but does not currently drip. At all. But it has dripped, and when it does I find the issue and replace it.

A working PCV valve, oil drain back plugs that aren't clogged, and an engine that doesn't have excessive blowby, will all aid in a leak free engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31