Need help ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skittlesk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
1985 chevy k10 longbed
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 sbc
Hey guys, so few weeks ago i mounted my 44s on my new rims. I mounted them by ether, and all 4 worked out good, then i came back to my ppace ane i found one unbeaded and flat. This has happened 3 times on same wheel. The tires have minimql to no dry rot. Help needed quick thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it's currently off the beads, check them for any defects there. Could be some rust from the old wheels stuck to them or maybe even a tear from removal. Clean it best as possible (if you find anything) and put some bead sealer on it before you air it back up. Then use soapy water to check for leaks.

If it's aired up now, just skip to the soapy water.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Air it up all the way to your max psi, then let some back out to wherever your going to run them

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Bad valve perhaps?

Skittlesk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
1985 chevy k10 longbed
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 sbc
Possible but there brand new rims and valves. Can i run bead sealer with mounting them with ether

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Possible but there brand new rims and valves. Can i run bead sealer with mounting them with ether

Probably not. Take the tire off and leave it inside over night to warm it up. Then slightly over inflate it just a bit. Check it for leaks with soapy water and then let some of the pressure back out. Don't get crazy. Just 5lbs over your max. I would tell you to be careful and give you my liability waiver, but the fact that your seating tires with ether pretty much makes the point mute. You can buy a Cheetah bead seater for like $100. Eyebrows are priceless.

Skittlesk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
1985 chevy k10 longbed
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 sbc
Probably not. Take the tire off and leave it inside over night to warm it up. Then slightly over inflate it just a bit. Check it for leaks with soapy water and then let some of the pressure back out. Don't get crazy. Just 5lbs over your max. I would tell you to be careful and give you my liability waiver, but the fact that your seating tires with ether pretty much makes the point mute. You can buy a Cheetah bead seater for like $100. Eyebrows are priceless.

Lol ok. I bought some bead sealer to take up north where my truck is located. Ill try my best to get it to stay.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol ok. I bought some bead sealer to take up north where my truck is located. Ill try my best to get it to stay.

We deal with that with Semi tires all the time in the winter. They just get cold and stiff. A little extra air pressure usually seals them right up, then you can let it back out. Just make sure you clean the rim up good before you seat it again. Sometimes when that ether ignites it can stir up enough dirt to get caught in the bead.

Skittlesk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
1985 chevy k10 longbed
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 sbc
We deal with that with Semi tires all the time in the winter. They just get cold and stiff. A little extra air pressure usually seals them right up, then you can let it back out. Just make sure you clean the rim up good before you seat it again. Sometimes when that ether ignites it can stir up enough dirt to get caught in the bead.

Now that i think about it, there was some sand in the tire. That might be the cause of it not seating. The sand might be blowing up into the bead when it ignites. I will remove tire from rim, and clean out the tire.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This probably doesn't apply to your issue - it is provided just as info on how to determine a tire's DOM:

Tire Age/Date of Manufacture

Unlike the other, more-prominent specs, the Department of Transportation's Tire Identification Number is of interest to tire owners and buyers alike — mainly because it includes the week and year of the tire's manufacture, and thus its age. Tire age, not just wear, has become a safety concern.

Found close to the rim, the TIN consists of a series of 10-12 letters and numbers that — like a vehicle identification number — are of little use to a consumer. But the last four numbers represent the birth week and year of any tire built since 2000.

DOT H25R YC24 4305

The tire above was manufactured in the 43rd week of 2005. Tires built before 2000 used a three-digit code, where the year was reduced to a single digit. If the tire above were from 1997 rather than 2005, its code would be 437. Would 437 also be the code for a tire made in the 43rd week of 1987? Unfortunately, yes, it would — and that's why four digits are now used.

Recently, the effect of tire age on safety has become a concern. Unfortunately, climates and how well a tire is cared for affect its aging, so there are no universal rules. Most tires wear out before age becomes an issue, but some automakers — mainly German ones — recommend replacement after six years in service, regardless of wear. Most automakers agree that 10 years is the maximum safe lifespan for any tire, including a spare that has never been used. When buying new tires, it's wise to check their birth date. Treat them like milk: Your family might finish a gallon before its expiration date, but then again, it might not. Why take the chance? For the same money, you should get the freshest milk — or tires — you can find. You might wear the tires out long before they're due for retirement, but why buy a set whose clock is already ticking?

Skittlesk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
1985 chevy k10 longbed
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 sbc
Thanks for the advice, but they still should be seating on the rim.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Roger that,

That's why the post started off like this:

This probably doesn't apply to your issue - it is provided just as info on how to determine a tire's DOM:

Skittlesk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
1985 chevy k10 longbed
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 sbc
Roger that,

That's why the post started off like this:

No sweat thanks for the info tho.

cfieldchevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had an old cow lick my tires n they stayed right on.

Heavy-T

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
400+
I'd check into a faulty valve if rim and bead look good