need advice on np205's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
So, the other week I was able to score a sm465 complete with pedals, master/slave cylinders, bellhousing and steering column, out of an 89 1 ton 2 wheel drive. I know I'll need to convert the output shaft. My question is this. Is there any advantage to using the late model round pattern 205 with the 32 spline input? Or will I be ok with the earlier 10 spline? When the truck is finished it will be used to pull my jeep around, gather parts for my house and other projects, generally just a good dependable parts chaser. It will not see offroad use, that's what the jeep is for.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I should also add that at this moment I may be able to get a 205 from a 1980 1 ton with a th400 that is being parted out.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The 205 from the 1 ton will be valuable but I'm not sure how helpful it will be for your 4spd. Off Road Design makes a short 32 spline output (approx $350) that might work with a figure 8 4spd adapter to the 32 spline 205 but I'm not sure, you'd need to ask them.

I talked to Stephen (at ORD) at length once about strength advantages of figure 8 vs round adapters, his opinion was that was no measurable difference.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Also, the only disadvantage I can think of with a 10 spline set up is spline wear. Since it's a course type spline they can be subject to excessive wear if it's from an abusive or heavily worked application.

The upside is the 10 spline 205 is super common so it should be cheap.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Thank you. This is the kind of information I need . I already planned on going through the 465, since I knew I needed to change the output anyway. This helps answer what to look for, instead of holding out for a newer unit, I can find the older, easier to locate design, and rebuild from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising