Mystery Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I had mine out when I did my heads, it just had the one bolt on the head holding the bracket and it just slid out of the block. I was able to put it back in with the manifolds on, but it was a REAL BITCH to try and see the hole, you could't see it actually, it was real hidden in there. I had my brother go under the truck and he felt where the hole was and told me which way to move the tube to install it, it was a bitch, and I know that sounds a little gay, lol..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There is a little trick to doing this if you can get it out without taking off the exhuast manifold. If you have some tie wire, the kind rednecks use for everythings, or baling wire, or a long skinny rod that bends. Pull your dipstick out, shove this longer rod down in the dipstick tube. Work the dipstick tube out and slide it up over the rod. Clean it up, put your RTV on it, and then slidie it back in over the rod that you left in the crankcase as a finder guide and it won't be a real bitch at all.

I know I used dipstick, rod, long and shove to many times, so expect that post to end up in the quote thread.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Good advice guys! Thanks! Since I changed how I park it, I haven't seen any more drips. I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it starts up again, I'll have a plan of action ready to implement. :grd: It was really easy to see w/the starter out. I was originally planning to drop it again to do the tube. I like your suggestions way better than holding that starter over my head w/one hand while trying to thread a bolt in with the other.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good advice guys! Thanks! Since I changed how I park it, I haven't seen any more drips. I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it starts up again, I'll have a plan of action ready to implement. :grd: It was really easy to see w/the starter out. I was originally planning to drop it again to do the tube. I like your suggestions way better than holding that starter over my head w/one hand while trying to thread a bolt in with the other.

Oh, I got a suggest for changing starters too so you don't have to do that either. Since the starter is on the passenger side, park the driver said up against the curb in the street. Then you jack up the passenger side and block it, then get a biggo block for your jack, and jack some more, and so on, then you let the truck down on a fence post about 6 ft long, then you can sit on a chair and change your starter and not have to worry about all the junk getting in your eyes.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oh, I got a suggest for changing starters too so you don't have to do that either. Since the starter is on the passenger side, park the driver said up against the curb in the street. Then you jack up the passenger side and block it, then get a biggo block for your jack, and jack some more, and so on, then you let the truck down on a fence post about 6 ft long, then you can sit on a chair and change your starter and not have to worry about all the junk getting in your eyes.
Hahhahaha.

That is a great tip, using the tie wire through the dipstick.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

:wtf:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yeah, its easy brah !!! Toadja !!! Makes life much simpler.

attachment.php

Attachments

• truckjack.jpg
    truckjack.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 130

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hhaha, that's how 78shortandwide should be fixing his frame, we wouldn't be gettin snow all over it, lol....

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
How the hell would you let that back down? Just kick the posts out and haul azz?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
At least he got the wheels chocked, lol.....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How the hell would you let that back down? Just kick the posts out and haul azz?

I think you get, Juan, Jose, Pedro, Chewy, Roberto and Jorge to hold the truck up, then you have Maria move the lumber ehhhh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adis