My truck won’t shut off with the key.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grandeboy1980

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande
Engine Size
So my 1980 Custom Deluxe will start up and run decent but I just ran into the issue of it not turning off with the key. I end up having to choke it out with the choke to get it to die. I’m clueless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
What did you do to it in order to make it run?
You 've been jackin with the distributor haven't you? Look somebody has and he who smelt it dealt it.
Everybody knows that. You mean to tell me youre jackin with a Manuel choke in the dash?
And it magically developed run-on without so much as touchin it , Mr.Clueless the junior member from 1980...??

Aint got no pix or nothin.
U pay first.
Then ask question!
:greenchainsaw::025:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So my 1980 Custom Deluxe will start up and run decent but I just ran into the issue of it not turning off with the key. I end up having to choke it out with the choke to get it to die. I’m clueless.

Old chevys never die They just run faster

Grandeboy1980

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande
Engine Size
What did you do to it in order to make it run?
You 've been jackin with the distributor haven't you? Look somebody has and he who smelt it dealt it.
Everybody knows that. You mean to tell me youre jackin with a Manuel choke in the dash?
And it magically developed run-on without so much as touchin it , Mr.Clueless the junior member from 1980...??

Aint got no pix or nothin.
U pay first.
Then ask question!
:greenchainsaw::025:
I’ve replaced alot. Waterpump, thermostat, plugs, wires, all the hoses, fresh oil change, fresh gas, new fuel lines, new brake lines etc. It sat for 10 years, the motor was locked up. I haven’t touched any wiring. And it’s just developed this not turning off with the ignition. And no I haven’t touched the distributer. Timing is dead on. That’s not the issue. And no I didn’t kill it with the manual choke in the dash. I popped the hood, and fully shut the choke, stalling it and killing it. And as for the no picture and bs. I’m new on here. I just simply asked a question.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grandeboy1980

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande
Engine Size
I’ve replaced alot. Waterpump, thermostat, plugs, wires, all the hoses, fresh oil change, fresh gas, new fuel lines, new brake lines etc. It sat for 10 years, the motor was locked up. I haven’t touched any wiring. And it’s just developed this not turning off with the ignition. And no I haven’t touched the distributer. Timing is dead on. That’s not the issue. And no I didn’t kill it with the manual choke in the dash. I popped the hood, and fully shut the choke, stalling it and killing it. And as for the no picture and bs. I’m new on here. I just simply asked a question.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Quadrajunk. Yes.

I don't see any 'junk'. I do see some open/suspect vaccum lines on that carb though. Not sure you can really pin the keep running issue on those issues unfortunately.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Definitely electrical. If it was “dieseling,” you’d know. I’d check to make sure the rod that goes to the ignition switch is moving back and forth okay just to rule out that the rod is contacting both ends and the rack wasn’t broken. I’d then check for continuity/shorts on the pink distributor wire that goes to and from the ignition switch. Otherwise, I’d be looking at the actual ignition switch being bad, which is where I’m leaning on a face value basis.

There were different switches used throughout the model run so if you identify the switch, which is done by the number of pins, there are good schematics in other threads, or if you go to the reference library, go to your year of service manual and check the electrical schematics. Don’t skimp on a switch, go with a good brand. AC Delco as a number one, Standard Motor Products as a number two. As a tertiary option, NAPA has served myself and others well with their electronic products.

If this happens in the future where it’s running normally and not dieseling, the best thing to do is to unplug the power lead to the distributor.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Make certain that when you turn the key to the 'off' position, that you do not have 12vdc to the coil.
The dizzy must be on 'switched 12v'.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

Hope this helps

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
@Grandeboy1980 check out this thread maybe??? I havent read all the way through it but...

EDIT!!
DISREGARD!! Didnt realize you were already in here, sorry :(

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's how it is see.

Boy howdy! Will ya lookit there...all we really needed was somebody to show up pokin sticks :ehcapt: and talkin ****...it's like a party in here now! :party33:

Quadrajet looks pretty lit up like that...great pix.
Plus u got 15x10 wagons!! :boobs: Come on it buddy, have a seat the gang's all here.
:gathering:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80