My late-est hack-fest...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bin wanting to try this for awhile but wanted to wait til I found a backup top. Well, my friends boyfirend gave me an extra top so I figured now its just a race to get it done before the rain hits!

Todays progress...

You must be registered for see images attach

-John

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've seen Jeep guys do this. You gonna build a knee wall to seal it off behind the back seat? Cool mod! :happy160:

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! I wasn't sure what the response would be...I was just finishing zippin' up my flame-suit hahahahahaha!

Yeah, I'm going to attempt to use the front panel off a parts truck bed and cut it to fit as a wall. Just want to make sure its weather-tite so water from the exposed bed floor won't leak into the cab. For glass I'm going to just slide the stock piece in the back and whip up some tabs to hold it in place. I had hoped to shorten the stock windows but it will likely be plexiglas, easy & cheap lol.

-John

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Meh, I'm not a fan of it. It's your truck and you can do what you like, but Blazers look better with the top on or off, not in between.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't really sure how it was going to look, and I'm still not totally sure what I think lol. I did it for a few reasons besides looks, but sure I wanted it to be a little different. I have a backup top in case I don't like it in the end lol. My favorite look is still top & doors off.

-John

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Things I've seen like that also had the tail bobbed off. That top would be too short for that now, and I'm glad you dont really have that planned. Never really cared for bobbed or dovetailed 4x4s.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'm not feeling it, but, that's mainly because I don't see what the advantage is. What, exactly, are you gaining?

My neighbor has a brother who modified his K5 with the back wall of a pickup cab. It's now a full time, unibody, Square Body truck with a 4ft bed.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it will be better at keeping out exaust fumes, something that my stock tailgate and glass was completely worthless at doing. It will be alot easier to heat with less cabin area. I can build a spare tire carrier that can hold a full size spare. It won't be like every other K5 in town. Just alot of little reasons I guess but the main thing is that I got it in my head to do it and so I had to lmao! I wish I woulda photoshopped it 1st but what the hell lol.

I don't think it looks terrible, just a little "different"...it will grow on me or get stuck behind the shed hahaha.

-John

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You could always put it on craigslist lmao say you cant tell what kind of jeep it goes on hahaha!

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^hahahahahaha thats funny ****!

Would probly sell too...

-John

FresnoK5er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. When it come to cars and trucks it's nice to stand out. What did you use to cut the top a sawzall? Are you going to finish it?

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a skil-saw actually, believe it or not. I have a sawzall but my friend thought the cut wouldn't be strait enough and came up with the skil-saw idea. Just a plain wood cutting blade. I still haven't finished it yet...

-John

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know if I like it or not. It would have to grow on me if there was a chance I would ever like it. JMO, by your statement of smaller cabin area to heat, and exhaust fumes, I get the idea you might actually be a pick up truck person more than a K5 Blazer person. Me, I'd have one of all of them, truck, K5, Suburban, 2wd, 4x4, etc, LMAO !!! I have plenty of these trucks, but not a K5 YET !!!