My 77 started to smoke!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
Hey guys, so i finally got some time and extra cash to do a few things to the 77 crew. I put all new front wheel bearings a seals in front in hopes that it would stop shaking above 50mph. So the next morning i took it for a test drive to work. While its better and feels more solid it still shakes.... has to be the tires. I rebuilt the hole front drive shaft and had the front balanced and aligned a few weeks ago so im at a loss as to why it would still shake.

Second, by the time i made it to work and parked it looked like my truck was on fire with all the smoke bellowing out of the hood. So i popped the hood and let the smoke clear and i had oil all over the manifolds so i let it cool and powerwashed under the hood and took it home. I noticed that the valve covers were bent up and didn't have any hold downs on them so i went to napa and got gaskets and rtv high temp and a set of hold downs. Went back home and bent them both straight as i could get and rtv'ed both sides good and straight and put the hold downs on and let set over night. Also while i had the A/C pump off i replaced the temp sensor and wire cus they were junk. Drove it to work again today and SMOKE! DAMN IT! pop the hood and there is oil on the firewall back by #8 cylinder and on the manifold right there too but i don't see it leaking anywere on the covers i just fixed..... and even if it was the covers why would it spray oil on the firewall??? what am i missing here?

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
Hey guys, so i finally got some time and extra cash to do a few things to the 77 crew. I put all new front wheel bearings a seals in front in hopes that it would stop shaking above 50mph. So the next morning i took it for a test drive to work. While its better and feels more solid it still shakes.... has to be the tires. I rebuilt the hole front drive shaft and had the front balanced and aligned a few weeks ago so im at a loss as to why it would still shake.

Second, by the time i made it to work and parked it looked like my truck was on fire with all the smoke bellowing out of the hood. So i popped the hood and let the smoke clear and i had oil all over the manifolds so i let it cool and powerwashed under the hood and took it home. I noticed that the valve covers were bent up and didn't have any hold downs on them so i went to napa and got gaskets and rtv high temp and a set of hold downs. Went back home and bent them both straight as i could get and rtv'ed both sides good and straight and put the hold downs on and let set over night. Also while i had the A/C pump off i replaced the temp sensor and wire cus they were junk. Drove it to work again today and SMOKE! DAMN IT! pop the hood and there is oil on the firewall back by #8 cylinder and on the manifold right there too but i don't see it leaking anywere on the covers i just fixed..... and even if it was the covers why would it spray oil on the firewall??? what am i missing here?

i dont know if it has mechanical or electric oil pressure gauge or not,, but if its mech type check for a broken/cracked line..i only use copper line for oil pressure,, because the plastic line get brittle and break.. if electric? id still look around there,, i have seen sending units spray oil also......

could also be? dist gasket? or the back of the intake gasket between the manifold and block blew out,, ive seen that also...

OR its got bad blow bye.........

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Any luck with this Kapdin?

Posted From Hell

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
No not rly just frustrated so shes parked for now. I think it is the intake gasket back there. Just no time or money right now to do it justice so shes parked.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Take a digital camera and take some flash pictures of the back of the motor. It is a great detection tool.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cheapes way to go would be to, remove the sending unit, screw a plug into the hole and take it for a drive, if that does`nt fix it then replace the distributor gasket, if that does`nt fix it, You then will almost be certain that it is the intake manifold gasket.
I`d "Almost" bet on the sending unit, but, I am not a betting man.:happy175::happy175::happy175:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david b