My 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Still on pause

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for the update. Let us know when we can hit the > and see some progress. :waytogo:

Bowtieman427

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
If you are truly worried about the 2 bolt vs 4 bolt. you can stud the 2 bolt give a little extra insurance. Son is going through the whole 489vs 454 thing right now. Also consider the cost of the machine work vs stroker kit. Also with the stroker kit most come balanced and it a all new parts. We are consider kits made By White's performance. To us good bang for buck when consider all aspects and cost. We are also saving for Hyd roller cam. If you are looking for torque then the 489-496 path to go. Many dynos did not show a HP improvement in smaller duration cams but significant Ft*Lb improvement and their flatter torque curve are very favorable.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Finally pulled the locked up engine. I'm glad the heads survived, but I'm not worried about the block since i have a good one already. One of the rod nuts worked loose. I guess they didn't torque them well enough.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looks like a bad crank, 2 bad rods and pistons. You don't think this block can be used again? I wouldn't use it as a stroker engine to where it has a longer stroke pulling the pistons deeper into the cylinders, but I'd imagine if that's all the damage to the block, and it didn't crack up into the cylinder it can be used again and be good as new. Bore it .030 or .040 over, rotating kit and build it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That poor block R.I.P.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not positive without looking it over and having a chance to work with it. but I'm thinking the block can be saved. Bore, smooth up the rough edges around the base of those cylinders and build it. People take meat off blocks in those locations to clearance blocks for stroker kits. Not sure I'd stroke it though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm not positive without looking it over and having a chance to work with it. but I'm thinking the block can be saved. Bore, smooth up the rough edges around the base of those cylinders and build it. People take meat off blocks in those locations to clearance blocks for stroker kits. Not sure I'd stroke it though.

I myself would not use it impact stress would be enough for me to condemn it. Especially since it's a 2 bolt, but then again I have a surplus of big blocks and I buy them by the pound. I'd hate to build one and have it start to puke coolant into the oil. But if you would fill the block it might be ok ,then again filling a block isn't a real good idea on the street, reduced coolant capacity and all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I myself would not use it impact stress would be enough for me to condemn it. Especially since it's a 2 bolt, but then again I have a surplus of big blocks and I buy them by the pound. I'd hate to build one and have it start to puke coolant into the oil. But if you would fill the block it might be ok ,then again filling a block isn't a real good idea on the street, reduced coolant capacity and all.

Yep, I'd have to consider my situation. I don't have BBC's laying around so I'd check it over real well and if deemed useable I would. I wouldn't a small block though. They're dime a dozen. I'd like to find a cheap back up BBC. Preferably either an Older Pre Peanut Port headed 427/454 or a Vortec generation 454. I'd also like to find some older heads for my current 454. Maybe some 396 heads. I'd buy all the BBC I could if I was buying by the pound.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I do and my buddy knows to call me when he comes across one at the recycling yard.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd also have look for any small journal small blocks too. 283 and 327's. Quick tell tale, no bolt accessory holes on the heads. Not many of those left but if he happens to see one grab it too.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It probably wouldn't be worth the money to risk it with this block since i have a good one already.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd have the main webs magged, if it passes nothing wrong with it for general usage..

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd have the main webs magged, if it passes nothing wrong with it for general usage..
After thinking about it, it happened at idle. So it's probably not stressed at all , and it unlocked the slightest press of a pry bar

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey