Mudded & Flooded in the PacNW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
So Sundevil, you seem to know a bit about the 6.2 Squares. As said above, I have a 85 K10 that was originally a 6.2. It had been converter to gas in the past. I bought the truck wo a powertrain. The pricks who pulled the motor, hacked the engine bay wiring harness at the firewall. I'll have to replace it. Are you aware if the pinout off the plug is close enough that if I was to get a gas truck wiring harness, would it work for the dizzy hot, guages, alternator, starters etc? I've got a powertrain for this truck now. Just a matter of bolting it in and wiring it up. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Wow, 85 k10 oil-burner.. rarity indeed (+/-3.5% of all manufactured)
From what I am picturing in my head (all nekkid ladies aside :boxed: ), yes.
As far as wiring it up, this might help
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinfo/wiring_diagrams/81-87_V8_engine.jpg

Also, make sure the systems set for 12v (which, I believe the k10's all were.. )! Seems like a no-brainer, but, I've seen it happen.. "I Love the smell of (fried systems) in the morning"

A quick and dirty for a Diesel to Gasser swap:
If its a carbed motor, take the pink wire that goes to you fuel valve on the diesel, and stick it in the HEI dist. Everything else is pretty straight forward. If you want TBI, do the same thing, then get a tbi harness (parts yard, or Painless), ditch all of the emissions crap, hook the orange and black wire to a ground, then hook your pink/black wire to ignition hot, orange and red wires to battery hot, and ground it to the block and the body. Tan/white wire will go to your fuel pump.

Again, the quick and dirty to get her running. And as long as under the dash is in relatively close to factory condition, should work fine. For the gauges, it'll take some grounding and checking for pegged gauges to discern the hack job at the pin block, but would all pin to the factory colors.

I hope I'm reading your question right.. if not, I might need to sleep off the Bourbon and reread it ;-)

:patriot:
~Sun

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, it's all OEM wiring still to the best of my knowledge and what I can tell. I have wiring diagrams. Guess I just need to study the diagrams at the firewall block and see how they vary from Gas to Diesel. I just figured you might know off the top of your head. I was hoping all I'd have to do is find an 85ish gasser engine compartment hanress and plug it in to the OEM firewall block and all fall right into place just like OEM. I was actually going to recab this frame with an 85 C20 cab, but have decided since its a 6.2 Diesel designated by VIN and is Emmisions EXEMPT in CA, I'll use that cab and register that VIN with this truck and if I ever move back to Cali, this truck will FOR SURE go with me and not have to deal with emmisions ********. It's also going to be converted to 3/4 or K20 with Springs, brakes and axle retrofits and a dirty ass 454.

Sundevildaddy

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Custom
Engine Size
6.2L (J)
Don't blame you for wanting to keep the exempt vin. To my knowledge, the union at the firewall should be plug-n-play.. GM was starting to really ride the "Universal" band-wagon, by that time. A few years newer (and matching year motors) and I could almost guarantee a plug-n-play harness.

Again, I'll check in the yard this weekend and see if I can notice anything that would be of concern/mis-match.
:patriot:
~Sun

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Also, make sure the block is a vin code J (379ci)! C series is a converted 350ci, and has loads of problems!

When you refer to the J and the C, is the J the Detroit, and the C the converter Olds 350??? Just an FYI, anyone have a Olds 350 Diesel, I'll take that block. You can have the heads and all the junk, just want the block for a possible gas motor.

That's correct: The J vin is the Detroit, built and bread. It was installed both at the D plant and the Canada plant.
The C is the 350, converted. Extremely easy to mod back.
Anyone with a C vin, I would recommend swapping back to the gasser, the J though.. a little tinkering and you'll find out what a gem you have.l

Ok.. I hate resurrecting older threads like this but I can't stand mis-information like this... The C and J code's are the EXACT same 6.2L (379 ci) blocks... The ONLY difference in them is the C-code had a different intake (and IP adjustment) that had EGR for emissions purposes and the J-code didn't. The J-code is the EXACT same engine the military used too, with the only difference again being a different intake and IP adjustment. NONE of them were gas 350 blocks converted to diesel.

The Olds 350 also was NOT just a gas engine converted to diesel. It was a cast just for the diesel BASED from the gas 350 block. The rumor that it was just a converted gas block was just that... a rumor... and it still hasn't died...

Sorry for the rant and old thread resurrection...

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Personally I love to see bad information corrected, even if it's my own! :crazy:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok.. I hate resurrecting older threads like this but I can't stand mis-information like this... The C and J code's are the EXACT same 6.2L (379 ci) blocks... The ONLY difference in them is the C-code had a different intake (and IP adjustment) that had EGR for emissions purposes and the J-code didn't. The J-code is the EXACT same engine the military used too, with the only difference again being a different intake and IP adjustment. NONE of them were gas 350 blocks converted to diesel.

The Olds 350 also was NOT just a gas engine converted to diesel. It was a cast just for the diesel BASED from the gas 350 block. The rumor that it was just a converted gas block was just that... a rumor... and it still hasn't died...

I never said it was a gas converted motor. I'm fully aware of the DX block. For those who do say it's a converted gas engine would be better off to say it's a dirivitive of the gas engine and it is. Same as gas block but much beefier in the mains. The motor failed because of gas engine head bolt spacing. DX blocks are junk diesel block but make great race gas motors. Especially with a turned down forged 425 crank, and I have one. Never know, might be the Olds project I have to persue some day. Appears I'll be selling my Olds 455 motor and that dream gets put on hold AGAIN. :emotions122:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Yep! C and J code blocks are exactly the same. I have one of each sitting in my shop right now and can testify to that. :D

C code 6.2's are the "light duty" engine which means they had emissions crap on them and the J code is the "heavy duty" which doesn't have emissions. Which basically boils down to the J code have a MUCH better flowing intake.

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
I never said it was a gas converted motor. I'm fully aware of the DX block. For those who do say it's a converted gas engine would be better off to say it's a dirivitive of the gas engine and it is. Same as gas block but much beefier in the mains. The motor failed because of gas engine head bolt spacing. DX blocks are junk diesel block but make great race gas motors. Especially with a turned down forged 425 crank, and I have one. Never know, might be the Olds project I have to persue some day. Appears I'll be selling my Olds 455 motor and that dream gets put on hold AGAIN. :emotions122:

I know you didn't.... Sundevil did though... I just quoted your post to answer your question about the C/J-codes...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know you didn't.... Sundevil did though... I just quoted your post to answer your question about the C/J-codes...

yeah, I get it. I wasn't sure on the GM Vin code on those motors. I get it now. But, I'd still put an Olds DX block to use, just not as a Diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade