mini vs full spool????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
I have a 75 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 dana 44 front and a 14 bolt rear. I'm building a truck puller / street truck. What do people run in there rear ends for locking them in? mini spool, full spool carriers, or a locker (detroit or a eaton)? I still want to drive it, I've been told to weld the spiders. I'm not on board with that, just don't like the idea of welding on a hardened gear set. I just want something that will work and hopefully not break the bank. Thanks

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
maybe a lunchbox locker or something because full spool or mini spool aint gonna work on the street, and definately NOT in the front end.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
There's not really a "lunchbox" style locker, in the typical sense, for the 14 bolt full floater that just slips in with no fuss, because the carrier is 2 piece it has to be removed from the truck, ring gear removed so the 2 halves will split. I have my spiders welded, if you throw in some large nuts in the spaces between them and weld it all up like a ball of steel you're essentially making a mini-spool. Then after you get it welded dip it in water (after the cherry red starts to fade) and swirl it around. The 14 bolt has something similar to 2 crosspins inside the carrier that the spiders ride on, more like 4 pins connected to a chunk of metal. Those would be your most likely part to fail, just like a mini-spool in a 10 or 12 bolt will either break the crosspin or the carrier where the crosspin goes through. Full spool is much stronger but I really think you will hate driving it on the street although it would be the best option for tractor pulls. If I were you I would weld the spiders/sides real good, try that out and see if you can live with the road manners. If not you don't have anything but time in it, and you can get a full carrier Detroit locker and have the best of both worlds.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm almost certain when people refer to Mini Spool, they are referring to a "lunchbox locker" and they both get their name from being small, or size of a lunchbox. Could be one of those depending on what part of the country you're from too as to what slang is used.

Swims and C4 are right on one thing IMO, the second you mention XXXX /Street or Street/XXXX get Spool out of the vocabulary IMO. I'd go first choice being Detroit Locker. Being you need dual purpose, if cash isn't a big problem, the best choice would be ARB Air Locker. Very Strong, and can be a standard diff on the street, flip a switch for air compressor, and another for Lock Up, it's locked up as tight as a spool then for off-road use.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lunchbox locker I meant like a locright or something. one that will release and let the wheels turn when going into corners and curves.

a mini spool that they had in my monte carlo, well it had 2 splined sides that slipped on the axles in place of the spiders, then 2 square block chunks that slide onto the center pin and line up with a groove cut in each splined side piece, this locks it all in place all the time, same as welding spider gears.

That rear end was used street duty all the time from the PO before me and every tooth on the ring was busted off because of it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
lunchbox locker I meant like a locright or something. one that will release and let the wheels turn when going into corners and curves.

a mini spool that they had in my monte carlo, well it had 2 splined sides that slipped on the axles in place of the spiders, then 2 square block chunks that slide onto the center pin and line up with a groove cut in each splined side piece, this locks it all in place all the time, same as welding spider gears.

That rear end was used street duty all the time from the PO before me and every tooth on the ring was busted off because of it.

Without doubt, you WILL NEED some kind of differentiating if using for street use. No if, ands or buts IMO. At best that can happen if you DON"T, is quick wearing tires, but the breaking of axles, chipping gear teeth are fairly common.

So then what you're saying Swims, a mini spool is, is an open diff carrier with spider gear replacement to act just like a Full Spool. Full Spool being a solid carrier itself locking both axles solid, Full time, 100% of the time.

My advice would be to go Lock Right too, but not in a 14B FF. Cuz you still have to remove the carrier to install lock Right in a 14B FF. So if you're doing that anyway, may as well suck another couple hundred and go with the best, A Detroit Locker, unless you got the big bucks and can go ARB Air Locker.

I myself prefer Detroit Locker over ARB Air Locker. #1 is Cost, #2 is you can be Locked Up full time with differentiation when needed full time automatically, #3 Ease of Installation, no drilling holes in your axle housing, no air lines to route, burn or pinch, #4 ARB is NOT automatic, It's either locked up by you, or it's released by you..

I do agree, ARB is kinda cool for a Front Diff. You can run your locked in hubs up front with 1 of the 2 wheels up front driving assisting your rear Locker Diff on the street for true 3wd, and when you get off road, hit the Air Lock and now you're full time true 4 wheel drive, with front 2 being locked solid.

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
What about when you break an axle with a Detroit Locker? I hear it will take out the Detroit locker also. Is there something that causes the axle to take it out or just bad luck for those people?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep the mini spools go into the open carrier and completely replace the spider gears.

summit has pics on their website. I tried to keep it, but mine got thrown away.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What about when you break an axle with a Detroit Locker? I hear it will take out the Detroit locker also. Is there something that causes the axle to take it out or just bad luck for those people?

I've honestly never heard of that happening. The only thing I can think of there, is when and if you break an axle, that maybe the wedge is allowed to travel to far? :shrug: I guess that could happen if you drove it for some length of time and to complete splines backed out. :shrug:

This will also matter on what axle it's in. Not likely in a 14b FF I woudn't think. Detroit Locker is not it's own carrier in the 14b FF, you have to install it in an open carrier similar to a lunchbox.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Not to hijack, but HRPC what do you think the best LSD option is for a 14bff, OEM's seem hard to find?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not to hijack, but HRPC what do you think the best LSD option is for a 14bff, OEM's seem hard to find?

I woudln't want the OEM anyway. In all cases I"m aware of, it's Gov-Lok G80 Locking Diff. Not know for their strenth. I'd prefer just to have a standard open diff and install a Detroit Locker. A bit cheaper, the Lock Right. There is also another one by Richmond PowerTraxx that's a bit smoother operation than the Lock Right. Now those are lockers, not Limited Slips. But, they are the cheapest way out unless you want to buy a whole new carrier, then it get's expensive.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
A spool on the street will sqack repetedly when going around any corners. And it will drive you insane.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A spool on the street will sqack repetedly when going around any corners. And it will drive you insane.

Not after you break an axle. It's quiets right down after that.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When the 14ff is welded up, you shouldn't have to worry about broken axles, ring gear, etc. Just worn tires.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
When the 14ff is welded up, you shouldn't have to worry about broken axles, ring gear, etc. Just worn tires.

Yep, they're pretty damn strong, and what's going to give is the weakest link, and tires on the pavement will be it. You'll eat up rear tires for certain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csward86