10 bolt rebuild hurdles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foxracing254

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Good evening y'all. I'm in the midst of my first ever rear end job, and I've got a few hangups. I'm ditching the 2.73s for some 4.88s that (should) pair nicely with the 35s I'm about to mount. My carrier is a new Dana unit, it looked as if someone tried welding the journals on my original unit at some point, so I decided not to take any risks and ordered a new one. I made it through the ring\pinion setup fairly well, but my issue is now that my original spider gears don't fit in the lands inside the carrier (see photos). The bore is .200" bigger on the original carrier, and you can see the difference by eye. Do Dana carriers require Dana-specific spiders? Nothing I can find online has any dimensions to reference as far as that goes. I'm fine with buying new spiders, they should probably be done anyways, but I want to make sure they'll fit when they show up. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have! As a side note, how's my pattern look? I spent longer than I care to admit playing with the pinion shim pack and probably overthinking the depth adjustments.
You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Good evening y'all. I'm in the midst of my first ever rear end job, and I've got a few hangups. I'm ditching the 2.73s for some 4.88s that (should) pair nicely with the 35s I'm about to mount. My carrier is a new Dana unit, it looked as if someone tried welding the journals on my original unit at some point, so I decided not to take any risks and ordered a new one. I made it through the ring\pinion setup fairly well, but my issue is now that my original spider gears don't fit in the lands inside the carrier (see photos). The bore is .200" bigger on the original carrier, and you can see the difference by eye. Do Dana carriers require Dana-specific spiders? Nothing I can find online has any dimensions to reference as far as that goes. I'm fine with buying new spiders, they should probably be done anyways, but I want to make sure they'll fit when they show up. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have! As a side note, how's my pattern look? I spent longer than I care to admit playing with the pinion shim pack and probably overthinking the depth adjustments.
Welcome! I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody