Mechanical to electric cooling fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Been wanting to convert for a while and was not sure how I wanted to make this happen. Thinking of using current plastic stock shroud, mounting electric fan inside. Possibly fabricating mounting brackets to the inside front nearest to radiator. Has anyone done this? If so, pics would help.

Also, I have found a 16" fan. Shroud inside diameter is 21". Is there a minimum cfm fan needed to keep it cool?

TIA

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Someone here has done it. Chrysler did it too, but they used it in conjunction with a mechanical fan.

Personally though, I prefer dual fan setups that are easy to find and they are simple to mount up too. Why bother with a single fan?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Been wanting to convert for a while and was not sure how I wanted to make this happen. Thinking of using current plastic stock shroud, mounting electric fan inside. Possibly fabricating mounting brackets to the inside front nearest to radiator. Has anyone done this? If so, pics would help.

Also, I have found a 16" fan. Shroud inside diameter is 21". Is there a minimum cfm fan needed to keep it cool?

TIA
If it's a BB it will need more cooling power.
Lots of fails around here with E fans. I mean overheating.
And many junk fans out there too. The best are Spal.
Best way to rate a fan is by the amps used to run it. Yes more is better! Don't trust the cfm ratings, there are too many variables and manufactures
will always use the best results.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Someone here has done it. Chrysler did it too, but they used it in conjunction with a mechanical fan.

Personally though, I prefer dual fan setups that are easy to find and they are simple to mount up too. Why bother with a single fan?

I'm running a single T-Bird fan in my truck, keeps it quite cool. It has never run hot on me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm running a single T-Bird fan in my truck, keeps it quite cool. It has never run hot on me.

Did you fit it to the original shroud?

My thought was just that dual fan setups are so easy to find and mount, it makes more sense to me to just skip the single and run the duals. I'm sure a big single can flow enough air though, no arguments from me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just realized your radiator is much wider too, right? The average dual fan setup probably isn't wide enough then.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I used a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee fan. Works really good for me, no problems keeping it cool. Bolted it right into the stock shroud.

You must be registered for see images attach

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
I used a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee fan. Works really good for me, no problems keeping it cool. Bolted it right into the stock shroud.

You must be registered for see images attach

Do you know the fan diameter? The single fan keeps your SBC cool enough, I'm guessing. Just not sure what size fan to go with. I could probably make brackets in my existing shroud. Any and all info I can get is helpful for me to decide. I would like to only use one fan.

436'd skylark

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
Durajunk
The best bang for the buck in electric fans is the late model crown vic fan. Put a Google study out on it. It's available in the aftermarket and moves a ton of cfm. those boys in blue don't like to be warm....

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
The best bang for the buck in electric fans is the late model crown vic fan. Put a Google study out on it. It's available in the aftermarket and moves a ton of cfm. those boys in blue don't like to be warm....

What year models apply to late model? Present to past 10 years or what? Trying to get all info I can.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Im currently making a dual 14" shroud for my truck. I've got the smaller 350 radiator, not the BB one. We'll have to see how those two fans do, think the each pulled around 10-15 amps too.

Using Pro Comp 14" (Curved blade) fans and a flex-a-lite controller with the pipe threaded sensor, not the temperature probe for the radiator fins.

Last edited:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Do you know the fan diameter? The single fan keeps your SBC cool enough, I'm guessing. Just not sure what size fan to go with. I could probably make brackets in my existing shroud. Any and all info I can get is helpful for me to decide. I would like to only use one fan.

It's 18-19" I guess? A lot of people use this fan because it's easy to fit it in the stock shroud. I have a 3 row radiator, a high flow water pump and 190 T-stat. It runs around 195-200 running down the highway. The motor is .060 over and I've never had a problem keeping it cool. I had a lower degree thermostat for a while but it put out zero heat in the winter so I upped it the last time I had it apart.

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This is what I did. The cop cars have the best single fans

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyHansen