Mechanical to electric cooling fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
That all depends on blade type and count. My single S blade pulls roughly 4000 cfm.
If the fans are comparable specs and quality, but difference is two of a smaller versus two of a larger. I'd say its safe to assume the smaller duals will work better than a single large fan.

If you compare two tiny fans or poor quality ones, the single expensive quality will probably always blow it out of the water.

But if you don't have a shroud with either setup, it won't be effective at all since you'll only pull air through the actual fan area instead of the entire radiator. The rest will just be ram air.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Having differences in opinions about which fan kit I should get.

I have
195 t-stat
Aluminum radiator
AC
Mechanical fan clutch

Going to convert to
Single fan from 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Some say I can get a 200 degree on 185 degree off 30 amp relay kit and it will work with no problems.
Some say I need to change to 180 t-stat and use same kit.

Confused which way I should go.
A thermostat is easy to swap out. If the kit has enough cfms, stays within your available amp rating, then i'd say you'll be fine. You can also swap out temperature sensors later as well just incase its not turning on at the correct time.

tanyourhide

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup custom
Engine Size
250 inline 6
I read somewhere that s- type blades move about 20% less cfms than a straight blade of equal size. The gain of the s type blade is the noise generated is less than straight blade fans.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
UPDATE; I got a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee electric fan, a relay kit that is on at 200 off at 180. Picture is where temp gauge reads with or without AC. Needle may move about needle width left or right, no overheating. The gauge use to read at the first mark above cold. I am thinking this is probably a little too hot. Wondering if I replaced the 195 t-stat with a 180 or 185 would bring gauge reading down some?

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Get an infrared temp gun and check it with that. Mine ran in that same place before I switched the fan control over to the Sniper. Mine used to run on the first line too and the heat output in the winter sucked. It runs in between the two lines now and is generally around 195* according to the Sniper.

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
Get an infrared temp gun and check it with that. Mine ran in that same place before I switched the fan control over to the Sniper. Mine used to run on the first line too and the heat output in the winter sucked. It runs in between the two lines now and is generally around 195* according to the Sniper.

I did use the infrared pointed at the temp switch that runs the fan. Reading 208 at fan on and 199 at fan off. Not sure the accuracy of the infrared or the switch.

Would getting different switch such as a 185 on 175 off cycle the fan more possibly cooling a little better?
As mentioned, it is not overheating, but I can tell it is running a little hotter than before.
I don't think running at this temperature will cause problems but I could be wrong.

I can definitely tell the engine idles smoother and has a little more pep since removing the oem fan.

Last edited:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Yea those cheaper switches are not the most accurate. If you'd like it to run cooler get the other one an see what happens.

Or you could spend $1500 on a Sniper system and set it where ever you want :rofl:

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
Yea those cheaper switches are not the most accurate. If you'd like it to run cooler get the other one an see what happens.

Or you could spend $1500 on a Sniper system and set it where ever you want :rofl:

I will try the other rating switch. The one I have stated 200 on 185 off. With infrared, not getting that. I really think the ratings are bogus, so to speak. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike