Master cylinder question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Question is will a master cylinder off a 76 c20 454 fit a 76 k10 with a 350. They look simular but not the same.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12861

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Master cylinder size is related to the brake system's rating - not the engine size. The brake system's rating designation is primarily based on GVWR. So, without knowing the "JB" rating of either truck, it isn't possible to cross-reference part numbers.

But generally speaking, a 1/2 ton truck will probably have JB-3/5 brakes while a 3/4 ton truck would most likely be fitted with brakes rated at JB-6/7.

So, just as a WAG: It would be safe to assume that the MC you want to install is for a braking system with a higher duty rating. If it were me, and the new MC fits and can be mechanically mounted - I'd give it a try. Just don't chuck your presently installed one.

If you can provide the JB ratings of the two trucks involved, I can tell you for sure if it is a match. And I wouldn't go by the outside appearance.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I did a 3/4 ton axle swap on my 79 1/2 ton. I swapped to a 3/4 ton master cylinder (same year). I only had to reverse the lines on the master cylinder as the reservoir locations are reversed.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Master cylinder size is related to the brake system's rating - not the engine size. The brake system's rating designation is primarily based on GVWR. So, without knowing the "JB" rating of either truck, it isn't possible to cross-reference part numbers.

But generally speaking, a 1/2 ton truck will probably have JB-3/5 brakes while a 3/4 ton truck would most likely be fitted with brakes rated at JB-6/7.

So, just as a WAG: It would be safe to assume that the MC you want to install is for a braking system with a higher duty rating. If it were me, and the new MC fits and can be mechanically mounted - I'd give it a try. Just don't chuck your presently installed one.

If you can provide the JB ratings of the two trucks involved, I can tell you for sure if it is a match. And I wouldn't go by the outside appearance.

After looking at the MC itself it has a JB6 on it but part stores around me dont even list that for my truck, which i no you cant always go by that. I just want to make sure that it wont cause any harm to the rest of the braking system if i had put a JB 6 on and it might have been a JB 5 or lower. This is my first tango with brakes on these trucks so bear with me lol.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
After looking at the MC itself it has a JB6 on it but part stores around me dont even list that for my truck, which i no you cant always go by that. I just want to make sure that it wont cause any harm to the rest of the braking system if i had put a JB 6 on and it might have been a JB 5 or lower. This is my first tango with brakes on these trucks so bear with me lol.

The most critical difference between the various brake systems is at the wheels. The higher the duty rating, the bigger and stronger are the components used to create the friction used to slow the vehicle. Additionally, the friction components used with higher rated brake systems are designed with greater surface areas. This enables them to:

1. Withstand/absorb the increased heat energy generated by the braking process associated with larger, heavier vehicles.

2. Ultimately dissipate/transfer that energy to the surrounding atmosphere.

The capacity of the MC is part of the equation as well. Since the friction creating parts used in a higher rated system are bigger, so too must be the hydraulic assemblies (i.e. wheel cylinders/calipers) used to actuate them.

So it also follows that, since the wheels are fitted with larger brake actuating equipment, the bore/piston diameter of the MC must be also be increased accordingly. This is so the MC is able to deliver the increased volume of hydraulic fluid required by the heavy duty actuators. Pressure in a hydraulic braking circuit is mainly dependent on how hard you push on the brake pedal. Tubing used in all automotive braking systems is rated for 3000 psi. When you apply the brakes in a normal fashion (like slowing for a stop sign or coming off the highway) most drivers press the brake pedal hard enough to develop 800 -1000 psi. Even in the event of a panic stop, the most the system will see is about 2000 psi.

My point is; you should have no qualms about installing a MC with a heavier duty rating than was originally spec'd for your truck. It won't over pressurize your system and cause a blown line.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Look at the back of both M/Cs and measure the piston diameter. A smaller piston (say 1") will have more travel and exert more pressure on the caliper pistons and wheel cylinders. (Edit: ...but brakes could be "grabby" if booster is too big or pedal has too much mechanical advantage.)

A larger piston (like 1-1/8") will have less travel and move more fluid, but will require more pedal pressure (from your right leg) and may even feel "hard". But, obviously, both will work well with the right booster, wheel cylinders, calipers, and pedal linkage.

Read this starting with Post #8.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18149

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64