Master Cylinder line flip question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok so I've done a 4 wheel disc swap and a hydraboost swap on my V10. From what I've learned in the past there is some for hold off valve in the master to essentially let the rear drum brakes catch up. To hold the front off to let the rears take up any slack. My question would it be wise to leave the lines front/rear where they are on the master or flip them?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
GM was funny with their master cylinders. Some designs ran the front brakes off the rear port while others were the opposite.

I think if you change cylinder designs and the stock lines are sized for the opposite ports on the new cylinder, then just screw the lines in where they fit. That's probably how that cylinder is designed to work anyway.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I've had two or three master cylinders on mine and the ports for the hard lines were not all the same orientation. At least one had the larger line towards the front, while the current one has it towards the rear. Never gave it much thought, I just massaged the lines around to fit as required since the size of the ports don't allow you to hook them up backwards. Didn't have any issues with lockup or anything like that no matter which way they were installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

...and Bucket types faster than I do.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
GM was funny with their master cylinders. Some designs ran the front brakes off the rear port while others were the opposite.

I think if you change cylinder designs and the stock lines are sized for the opposite ports on the new cylinder, then just screw the lines in where they fit. That's probably how that cylinder is designed to work anyway.
On both mine the larger reservoir is closest to the fire wall both are the aluminum ones. The hydraboost has a smaller reservoir then the vacuum assist.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't think it matters in the case of your four wheel disc setup. As long as you have a comfortable pedal feel and the front/rear brake balance is good when you haul it down quick, then all is good.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I don't think it matters in the case of your four wheel disc setup. As long as you have a comfortable pedal feel and the front/rear brake balance is good when you haul it down quick, then all is good.
Thanks!!:waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ