manual windows to electric

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just got a superrrr clean set of doors for my k20 they are manual windows and in my junk doors they are electric. soooo how do i swap over the elec. to the manual.??

Thanks guyss

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Just got a superrrr clean set of doors for my k20 they are manual windows and in my junk doors they are electric. soooo how do i swap over the elec. to the manual.??

Thanks guyss

I'm going to be doing the same thing with my new set. It's looking to me like the doors are the same and swapping out the regulators will get it done.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
take good pics, I want to do the same! :)

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Switch regulators. Hardest part will likely be threading the wiring.

CerroCowboy

Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K-15
Engine Size
355 CID built by Lingenfelter
my electric windows barely roll up (have to help along by hand) i guess new motors are in store or just a good cleaning?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
my electric windows barely roll up (have to help along by hand) i guess new motors are in store or just a good cleaning?
My windows were slow too, when I installed new door panels I put all new switches and now my window actually work better. I used to work at an auto glass shop and we used silicone lubricant in the window tracks to help the glass slide up and down easier. Also spray white lithium grease on the roller tracks, might help if your rollers aren't worn out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
^^^^ X2 on the silicone spray in the window track felts, makes a huge difference. :waytogo:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
89sub <3's the silicone :naughty:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Switch regulators. Hardest part will likely be threading the wiring.

I actually don't think the threading of the wires will be all the hard either, just a bit tedious. Are you hoping that the truck is already set up with the power window and locks wiring in the cab? I'm not sure if they are or not. It would be great if its as easy as plugging into the OEM harness already set up. Not sure if GM did that back then.

I do know you will need to remove your dash pad to get to the plug ins for the doors. The door wiring goes into the rubber sleeve between the door and cab, into the kick panel area then up to under the dash pad. Its all plug ins I know for a vehicle that is OEM equipped with power locks and windows.

Yes, please do take plenty of pics of this project and let us know what all was involved as far as the wiring and if your truck had the provisions already in the wiring harness under the dash.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I dont know if this will help or not but years ago me and a friend swaped some electric window doors from an 81 camaro to an 80 camaro that had crank windows and the door harness just pluged into the fuse panel.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I actually don't think the threading of the wires will be all the hard either, just a bit tedious. Are you hoping that the truck is already set up with the power window and locks wiring in the cab? I'm not sure if they are or not. It would be great if its as easy as plugging into the OEM harness already set up. Not sure if GM did that back then.

I do know you will need to remove your dash pad to get to the plug ins for the doors. The door wiring goes into the rubber sleeve between the door and cab, into the kick panel area then up to under the dash pad. Its all plug ins I know for a vehicle that is OEM equipped with power locks and windows.

Yes, please do take plenty of pics of this project and let us know what all was involved as far as the wiring and if your truck had the provisions already in the wiring harness under the dash.

they're not. I have a 1994 GMT400 in the shop right now the guy wants power windows, locks and mirrors plus RKE installed in it. The fuse box has provisions for all of it, as said below, but the cross-car harness will have to be run plus, as you said, threading the door harness through the jambs and kick panels.

I dont know if this will help or not but years ago me and a friend swaped some electric window doors from an 81 camaro to an 80 camaro that had crank windows and the door harness just pluged into the fuse panel.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Makes sense. So you have to add the harness to the fuse block, then the used doors have the harness that will plug into that harness. On my 85, there is one plug behind the instrument panel for the driver door, and one behind the glove box for the passenger door. They are up kinda high in the dash and why I said you must remove the dash pad.

88burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sure you want to do that? I hate my power windows. I would take crank any day. Lot less to go wrong with the crank style. Just my opinion......

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Trade ya Don... :) My Silverado has crank windows and i want power. 'cause I'm lazy...:rofl:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm