manual locking hub ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

v3numus

Reaction score
First Name
alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
Hi was wondering if anyone can help me figure out if my drivers side hub is broken . Recently took my truck out and got alittle stuck noticed a clicking noise while in 4x4 and started leaking fluided from the outter seal . Wondering if I broke something more then hub?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Leave the truck in 2wd, lock the hub that you think is bad, then try to turn the axleshaft by hand at the knuckle. If it turns, either the hub or the outer stub shaft is broken. I broke a stub shaft last year and even though it was harder to replace, it was cheaper than buying a set of hubs. Good luck, hope this helps!

v3numus

Reaction score
First Name
alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
ok thx now how hard is it to change that axle stub? its the one on driver side thats giving me trouble. do i have to open the pumpkin r does the driver side just slip out ? any clips r anything holding it from coming out? and its a 82 gmc sierra classic think it has a 10bolt front end. thx

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Spread a rag out to lay out all your parts on and have a couple extra rags handy. Remove the caliper & pads, remove the locking knob, remove the 2 snaprings (big one inside hub and small one on end of stub shaft), remove the lock-in hub internals, remove the spindle nuts (requires the spanner nut socket), pull whole hub assembly off the spindle (rotor and all), try not to let outer bearing fall into the dirt. Inner bearing should stay in place because of the grease seal. Remove spindle and brake dust shield, and by this point you should have a stripped down knuckle. The axleshaft just pulls straight out of the pumpkin. Upon re-assmbly be sure not to over tighten your spindle nuts, they set your wheel bearing preload. One nut has a small stud on it that aligns with the holes on the washer that goes between them. Grease the bearings and check the seals while you have it apart. You know that clicking may end up being the wheel bearing, one of the guys on here Irishman was having a clicking problem from his with the hubs unlocked. There is also another smaller bearing in the back of that hub you should check too.

v3numus

Reaction score
First Name
alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
THX man ! Snds like fun. I also broke the outter seal while I was stuck . Can I still drive in 2wd with out wrecking anything. Just wondering because ill stop driving it if that's the case lol I don't use the 4by tho.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah when you're in 2wd with the hubs unlocked, the front driveshaft doesn't spin and neither does the axleshafts so you should be good to go.

v3numus

Reaction score
First Name
alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
hey crazy 4 off road . i locked the driverside hub! and turned the axle shaft by hand at the nuckle and it locked wouldnt budge . but when i turned the 4x4 driveshaft by hand it wudnt move unless i unlocked it and locked passengerside hub. iam thinking the axle shaft isnt broken because when i lock the pass side while driverside is unlocked and turn 4x4 drveshaft it turns . got a buddy to hold the nuckle and it turned ok.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Well you probably have an open differential which will allow the front driveshaft to turn with only one hub locked. Not really a good test doing that. Sounds like the driver's side is good but from what you describe I cant tell if you did the same thing on the passenger side or not, lock the hub and try spinning the axle shaft at the knuckle. If it dont turn the outer axleshaft and hub is good. If it does turn then either the hub or outer shaft is broke. But if it dont turn you have to look deeper, like a broken inner shaft or a broken side gear, spider or pinion in the pumpkin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk