Mad max starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
so has anyone seen the new mad max movie? when the chick gets in her fuel rig she has to start the thing by hitting switches in a certain sequence or it wont start. ive been reading on how to do something similar just as security since my truck sits outside all night. has anyone done anything like this to theirs?

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
The only "problem" with hidden stuff like this, is that the thief isn't deterred from breaking in. Sure, he may not be able to drive it away, but think of all the damage he may/might/will/could do during the break-in, and ignition strip/hot-wiring attempts.

I'm a fan of the hidden stuff, because at least your rig isn't going anywhere, but I'm also a fan of something highly visible, like the big red steering column lock box.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The only "problem" with hidden stuff like this, is that the thief isn't deterred from breaking in. Sure, he may not be able to drive it away, but think of all the damage he may/might/will/could do during the break-in, and ignition strip/hot-wiring attempts.

I'm a fan of the hidden stuff, because at least your rig isn't going anywhere, but I'm also a fan of something highly visible, like the big red steering column lock box.

I agree totally! Both are good.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Lol i always see this my truck lives outside keys in it unlockec! if someone wants it bad enough they may not be scared to come in and attempt to take it.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Bit i live in small town usa

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

You must be registered for see images attach

that's definitely another good way to think about it! I like that idea as well

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
im thinking the way to make it work the way I was talking would be through a bunch of relays but im not sure where to start. anyone have a good article to go off of?

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
im thinking the way to make it work the way I was talking would be through a bunch of relays but im not sure where to start. anyone have a good article to go off of?

IMO, you don't need anything so elaborate. A simple kill switch hidden some where, that kills the fuel pump, or the spark, is all you need.

Schanen51

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 detroit diesel
I wired up a few kill switches in mine. Really simple actually. I have one visible momentary push switch as well as a SPST switch wired into my momentary kill switch. The hidden one needs to be turned on for the momentary button to work, and visa versa. Under your dash, there is a purple wire coming from your ignition to the starter. Cut that wire, and simply wire in your kill switch and put it where ever you want. If you want more, you can wire more switches into that initial kill switch. Does that make sense? I can draw you a diagram if you want. Make sure you've got the right wire though. Grab yourself a test light to verify

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I wired up a few kill switches in mine. Really simple actually. I have one visible momentary push switch as well as a SPST switch wired into my momentary kill switch. The hidden one needs to be turned on for the momentary button to work, and visa versa. Under your dash, there is a purple wire coming from your ignition to the starter. Cut that wire, and simply wire in your kill switch and put it where ever you want. If you want more, you can wire more switches into that initial kill switch. Does that make sense? I can draw you a diagram if you want. Make sure you've got the right wire though. Grab yourself a test light to verify

I hate to ask you to draw up a diagram but it would definitely be more easy to picture that way lol... im on here all the time so if you get bored sometime thatd be awesome!

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You could always put an inline switch on your fuel pump and set up a momentary or toggle through a relay on the signal wire to the horn so when you are cranking if you don't press the momentary/toggle your horn starts blowing. So if you have a dead pump and a horn blowing when cranking I am sure a thief would probably start running pretty quick if the truck doesn't start and start making all kinds of god aweful noise.

You really want some good fun hook up a dev box under the dash w wifi so any time the vehicle is started you get an email telling you. You can also set the little bastards up to GPS and when they catch an open router they will report position. Its all in the programing of the dev box and added GPS signal. Google developer box as dry switch and you will find all kinds of info.

This is where I get the idea for the dev box... Its all the same basic concept. You could also just have this set up on the dome lights if you felt like it. Have it set to look for conductivity or not. I am planning on ordering a few to do a little boredom testing while sitting offshore and I can report back if I can get what I want out of it.

http://www.simpleiothings.com/10-diy-door-sensor/

Last edited:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
The previous owner of my truck just spliced (VERY poorly) a switch in line with the purple wire coming out of the firewall. I believe its the IGN wire going to the starter. The switch is located in a safe spot under the hood where only I know it is. Aint nobody starting that thing if the switch is off.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You can always make some simple changes, like a relay in the starter wire, which could be powered off the park/dash light circuit. Every time you start the truck you have to turn on the park lights first, which then makes the relay activate and allows the starter to work.

You could use the same type of switch and relay to power an electric fuel cutoff, or switch to an electric fuel pump. A carbureted truck will start using the fuel in the float bowls, but if the fuel or fuel pump is cut off, the truck will only make it a block or two before it quits. Most thieves will not want to hang around and troubleshoot a vehicle that just died in the middle of the road.

You could also use a relay to cut off the 12 volt power wire for the distributor.

If you put a cutoff in the charge wire for the distributor (you need a high amp relay), the truck will run for quite a while but finally quit when the battery gets too low.

One really interesting device that might work for anti-theft is an emergency brake that mounts on your pinion or driveshaft. They are used on some trucks after conversion to disk brakes, and there were old versions used in the 50's and 60's . If you could figure out a way to lock the actuator cable, it would stop the truck from moving.

Bruce

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
yes I think that after looking through a couple different ideas a relay and maybe an additional kill switch hidden would be the way to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade