Ls swap or not?

Do I Ls swap or not?

• Ls swap

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Don't Ls swap

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What are you looking to do with the truck? Unless you plan on challenging folks or if it really gets you excited to have the power of an LS when you never really need it, why bother swapping? From the way you describe it, it sounds like an awesome truck. Once you swap it, it never seems as reliable as it was from the factory (or maybe thats just how I feel about the confidence of my mechanical skills). The diesel trucks are cool, especially in the dropped swb. My vote is keep the diesel and if you want more power in it, add the turbo. After all, it sounds like you're looking for something to work on.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Its awesome when you dont have to pay anyone to do anything for you!! I ended up buy HP TUNERS
and very happy with it.
I bought HP Tuners and two credits. The more I thought about it, I just couldn't see paying to tune PCM's. I ended up using Tuner Pro and PCM Hammer. I sold the HP Tuner and the credits. I also do tunes for a few in my area.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
This one is fairly new, but later on, will not be worth as much as a stock example. I say leave it alone.
Not to knock the truck at all because it's got a killer look IMO, but it's already not an unmolested, unrestored survivor. Unless he did a concours resto, it'll be worth more with a well done re-power.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I hate threads like this. Lol. There's too many variables and I have a multitude of opinions on the subject.

I'm certainly not in the "LS swaps suck" crowd, but I'm also not in the "LS swaps are the end-all solution" camp. But I'll take a whack at it anyway...

If you want a performance upgrade, imho a stock 5.3 is a lot of work and money for not much gain. Make it worthwhile, go with an LS3 (just as an example) or some modified combo that will actually be fun to drive.

If you have a tired engine and want a modern and economical option, yeah a stock truck 'LS' type engine is a fine choice.

One of my gripes though is that everyone says the LS platform is best due to mileage and reliability compared to the older small blocks and big blocks. But it's simply not true, in my opinion of course. It's the modern electronics that make that possible. The LS platform has very little to do with it. You can run the modern electronics on a nice small block or big block and get similar results... however, it costs about the same as an LS swap to do that... so my gripe basically doesn't matter, lol.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Same as what Bucket said,I've said the same thing many times. Milage,power drivabilty,compare a 99 suburban sbc to an 01 suburban ls there's a fair comparison,similar milage, good drivabilty,similiar horsepower. They both have modern engine management, there's your big difference. Put a 45 year old quadrajet,that needs rebuilt,and an ignition system that's worn out and springs and Vacuum is all it has to control timing events,put that on an ls and then tell me how much better the ls engine is. Engine management is the big difference. This same argument happens every time someone replaces their 50 year old worn out qjet,with a new edelbrock,Quadrajets suck,my engine runs so much better with my new edelbrock,compare new qjets to new edelbrocks,not worn out crap to new stuff . Apples to Apples.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Just in case someone is looking for a 4BT..... y'all should know a lot of the towable compressors landscapers and construction sites use have them in them. Can often be picked up at auction or wrecking yards, probably cheaper than a guy on craigslist who "knows what he got".
Are they all built the same? Generator or boat engines vs one built for a bread van? I guess if the gen runs at 1800 rpm rather than 3600, the peak torque should be about right for a truck. Are they tailored for the rpm range and set load they’re running at beyond just a flywheel or balancer?

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Are they all built the same? Generator or boat engines vs one built for a bread van? I guess if the gen runs at 1800 rpm rather than 3600, the peak torque should be about right for a truck. Are they tailored for the rpm range and set load they’re running at beyond just a flywheel or balancer?
No clue brother. I've just popped the hood on a few we've rented for shotcrete work and seen the 4BT and assumed there was just the one version. I'm neither a Mopar or diesel guy, but I can read a tag lol.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I hate threads like this. Lol. There's too many variables and I have a multitude of opinions on the subject.
Threads like this, while maybe not intentional, are designed to anoint one preference as better than all the others. And that is all it is, preference.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
In your all's professional enthusiast opinions what would you do? Thanks for your time and opinion
I didn't even read the damned post until now. Not gonna change my vote. I'd rather have a 6.2 diesel truck ANYDAY.
Hell I'd rather have a 305. A 262, a 4.3..**** man I'd be tickled pink to roll around with a fricking IRON DUKE as long as it didn't say vortex. Ain't got no place in a 40 year old truck UNLESS you want to devalue it for whtever reason.
:shrug:

All hail the Iron Duke!
:king:
(all the kids said "what's an IRON DUKE ?")

Vortex ain't cool! That's both my opinion AND my preference. How bout that?

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
One of my gripes though is that everyone says the LS platform is best due to mileage and reliability compared to the older small blocks and big blocks. But it's simply not true, in my opinion of course. It's the modern electronics that make that possible. The LS platform has very little to do with it. You can run the modern electronics on a nice small block or big block and get similar results... however, it costs about the same as an LS swap to do that... so my gripe basically doesn't matter, lol.
So True :happy160:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
if I was piss poor (no offense), and had to spend $1,000 on an engine, I'd drop in a 5.3, re-work the harness myself and be done. More HP/TQ and mpg. Can be done for less than $1,000 pending.

But then again, if I was piss poor, I could probably find a running 350 (that I had a good feeling about), for about $600.

sorry, had to do the apples to apples for those that are in that situation.

Key thing, do your research first if things are tight for you.

Gmcm78

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Money is definitely tight. But here is my plan. I have a good running '99 model 5.3 Silverado hit hard in the front end as my donor. The transmission was built 2 days before the wreck according to the last owner and it is clean and freshly painted so I believe it to be true. I will buy a 1987 pickup/sending unit and attempt to modify my original tank with the baffles or "bucket" to keep the pump from starving. I have heard good things about kemso fuel pumps so I thought I might try one of those for the price. I will bend my own 3/8" steel fuel line and try one of the 6an fuel line kits from eBay for my flexible connections. And I guess I'll try a corvette style fuel regulator as well. I have not settled on any engine mounts yet but might try some from Tejas steel works as they will allow you room for the a/c compressor without notching the frame. My radiator is new and all aluminum so it should do fine with a home made shroud and a couple of parts store 12" fans. I have seen a couple of sets of eBay stainless headers in person and they actually look really good so I will probably try those. And me being a little bit of a wiring nerd I will modify my factory harness and build a fuse/relay panel to meet all the electrical needs. I'm sure I haven't thought of everything but I have done a lot of research I'm hoping that I can keep my budget under about 1500 for the swap. Might not be realistic in this day and time but that's what I'm aiming for. Oh and I think I can part out my donor vehicle and almost get my money back for what I paid for it.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
That's good stuff. Noob had his mind made up and came here to create a poll.
So funny...
Almost 2 to 1 against it but he's gonna tell you his plan anyway cuz maybe he's missing something. It's like internet gold right here.

I forward the motion there should be a "moratorium" on polls to match the for sale thread.

Generates unnecessary in-fighting now he's gonna bolt.

Remember them old PACE PICANTE commercials with Ralph Stedman in em?
All the kids said "who is Ralph Stedman?"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507