Loud clunk after dizzy install...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Busted starter snout....

MAY ACTUALLY BE STARTER RELATED....

I hooked it to my hand starter (trigger attached to two wires) and started blipping the starter. The rotor was turning just fine and I heard no noises. I noticed the starter was super loud and making more noise than Im used to. I crawled under and noticed the started was still engaged with the flywheel. It wasn't retracting.... I pushed it with a screwdriver and it popped back.

So I'm assuming the starter is getting stuck and causing it all to jam up? Is that a thing? sounds good in my head.....:confused:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
There you go!

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I think you found it!!:banana-mario:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
MAY ACTUALLY BE STARTER RELATED....

I hooked it to my hand starter (trigger attached to two wires) and started blipping the starter. The rotor was turning just fine and I heard no noises. I noticed the starter was super loud and making more noise than Im used to. I crawled under and noticed the started was still engaged with the flywheel. It wasn't retracting.... I pushed it with a screwdriver and it popped back.

So I'm assuming the starter is getting stuck and causing it all to jam up? Is that a thing? sounds good in my head.....:confused:
Add a shim or 2 to the starter between the block and starter and it'll likely correct that problem.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's normal for the pinion not to retract if the engine don't start since it's similar to a one way clutch, pinion only rotates one direction so it's bound to stick.

Proper way to adjust a starter.

You must be registered for see images attach

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Man I freaken love this forum, you guys are so helpful its nuts. After all these starter shimming, ideas I started researching more online and found people saying if the ignition is too advance it can cause the engine to kick back at the starter. Since i pulled the dizzy it might be my timing is way off. Im gonna pull the starter check for any damage and proper shim, and then get proper dizzy position based off cylinder one at TDC.

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Man I freaken love this forum, you guys are so helpful its nuts. After all these starter shimming, ideas I started researching more online and found people saying if the ignition is too advance it can cause the engine to kick back at the starter. Since i pulled the dizzy it might be my timing is way off. Im gonna pull the starter check for any damage and proper shim, and then get proper dizzy position based off cylinder one at TDC.
Don't see how you could go wrong giving that a try. Let us know how it goes.

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Don't see how you could go wrong giving that a try. Let us know how it goes.

SOLVED. the clunk was 100% "starter kickback" from timing too advanced. Got the timing set the proper way and she fired right up and no clunk or scary noises.

The starter still sounds a bit high pitched, it definitely needs properly shimmed but it was not the reason for the noise.

I can now take a breath of relief... i was worried something was terribly wrong, it was soo loud. Thanks for everyones help!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Glad to hear the problem is solved, that's always a relief..

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
SOLVED. the clunk was 100% "starter kickback" from timing too advanced. Got the timing set the proper way and she fired right up and no clunk or scary noises.

The starter still sounds a bit high pitched, it definitely needs properly shimmed but it was not the reason for the noise.

I can now take a breath of relief... i was worried something was terribly wrong, it was soo loud. Thanks for everyones help!
I'm happy to hear you solved it and all is well!!:happy107::happy107:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

:cheers::cheers:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

Great news, glad you got it fixed.. :happy107:

Now back to our regularly scheduled banter, BS, chain yanking, and sarcasm..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great news, glad you got it fixed.. :happy107:

Now back to our regularly scheduled banter, BS, chain yanking, and sarcasm..
You forgot one. Although you're kind of new... You haven't got in on one of the circle jerks yet???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20