Looking for an Engine!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Hello everyone,

this is my first "conversation" as i am a new member to this forum. I am looking into purchasing a new engine for my 87 GMC and im not too sure of a reputable manufacturer or retailer. over the weekend i tore down my 305 and found the #1 rod bearing is shot and versus the repair cost/rebuild for a 305; i am resorting to an upgrade and would like to replace with a remanufactured or crate 350 depending on cost. I am no mechanic but i am trying to teach myself the ins and outs because i really appreciate these square body chevys and want to get mine back on the road ASAP. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
The GM Goodwrench 350 crate motors from a dealer run around $1500 and are a good reliable motor for a "stock" replacement. Other wise I would guess that jegs or some other source like that would be ok.

hiltijoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom delux
Engine Size
Hello everyone,

this is my first "conversation" as i am a new member to this forum. I am looking into purchasing a new engine for my 87 GMC and im not too sure of a reputable manufacturer or retailer. over the weekend i tore down my 305 and found the #1 rod bearing is shot and versus the repair cost/rebuild for a 305; i am resorting to an upgrade and would like to replace with a remanufactured or crate 350 depending on cost. I am no mechanic but i am trying to teach myself the ins and outs because i really appreciate these square body chevys and want to get mine back on the road ASAP. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated thanks!
I got a real strong 350 tbi w tranny ill sell ya lol

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
I will have to do some more digging. Anyone ever went through "jasper"? My 305 was rebuilt previously by jasper before i purchased the truck awhile back but I am having a hard time scouting their webpage.

hiltijoe- can you give me a rundown on what you have and a price?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
You could look at the gm 12681430 truck engine , its just a nice stock 350 for 2,000.00. I think you can get them just about anywhere , try looking at crate engine depot , they seem to have a lot to choose from. Or you could find a good machinist and have a 350 built if you are after more power

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I've always had decent luck with jaspers engines I like the crate motors as well there a lot of decently priced ones or get a stock one and put a cam in it

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
i appreciate all the help! I have found a few options now, thanks fellas!

hiltijoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom delux
Engine Size
I will have to do some more digging. Anyone ever went through "jasper"? My 305 was rebuilt previously by jasper before i purchased the truck awhile back but I am having a hard time scouting their webpage.

hiltijoe- can you give me a rundown on what you have and a price?
It's in the for sale fourm

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The low end GM crate engines start at about $1500; however, I strongly suggest moving up to a crate engine that has better heads (Vortec or aluminum) and a roller cam (more durable, holds up better with aggressive cam profile, etc.).

The GM L31 crate engine is a good choice (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530283), or you could try the Blueprint crate engine (https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=BP3503CT1). Jasper may have something similar.

For both of these you would need a Vortec manifold. The GM engine is basically a stock replacement, while the Blueprint engine has a more aggressive cam. You would have to call them to verify this cam would work with your stock TBI.

Bruce

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
I'm definitely leaning towards the blue print engine. Just need to find out about the tbi for sure. Thanks for the info Bruce and everyone else with all the links! Definitely have some options now.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I'm definitely leaning towards the blue print engine. Just need to find out about the tbi for sure. Thanks for the info Bruce and everyone else with all the links! Definitely have some options now.
think blue prints may have some gasket issues ive never had one but i have seen a few with a few leaks like on roadkill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising