Longtube Header Install Issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I got a set of Hooker 2454 long tube headers for my 1987 Silverado. I have the motor out of the truck, been out since August of last year, and I am at the point of putting the final parts on to reinstall back into the truck. I had the dipstick installed and noticed that as I went to put the header up the dipstick was in the way. I pulled it and the headers went on with no issue. Now I cannot get the dipstick to reinstall into its normal location. This is like a giant jigsaw puzzle that I cannot figure out. BTW it is a passenger side dipstick. I tried finagling the header in one hand while trying to route the dipstick through the headers with no such luck of getting either to line up correctly.

Any one out there experience this kind of issue? What are the options?
Bend the stock tube to make it work? Or buy an aftermarket dipstick?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I ran into the same issue after installing longtube headers on my 87 square. I have a passenger side dipstick as well. I ended up buying an aftermarket dipstick all together. The chrome dipstick (I wanted to compliment the other chrome items that I have on my motor), has a shorter tube length and dipstick. The curve of the new tube makes it easier to jnstall with the headers, and it also has a better bend than the oem. One additional item that I had to address was the mounting of the new dipstick. I ended up making a spacer and using a longer bolt that attaches the dipstick bracket to the header bolt. I don't recall the dipstick brand, but most aftermarket small block chevy dipsticks should fit.
I also swapped the transmission dipstick as well, with a lokar flexible unit. It looks great and it also allows for a better curve to clear the headers. I had to notch the passenger side of the frame to clear my headers. Hopefully yours will clear. My clearance notch was approximately 1/2" that was made in the frame

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Also....I purchased the aftermarket oil dipstick on ebay. Do a search for chrome oil dipstick small block chevy.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I got a set of Hooker 2454 long tube headers for my 1987 Silverado. I have the motor out of the truck, been out since August of last year, and I am at the point of putting the final parts on to reinstall back into the truck. I had the dipstick installed and noticed that as I went to put the header up the dipstick was in the way. I pulled it and the headers went on with no issue. Now I cannot get the dipstick to reinstall into its normal location. This is like a giant jigsaw puzzle that I cannot figure out. BTW it is a passenger side dipstick. I tried finagling the header in one hand while trying to route the dipstick through the headers with no such luck of getting either to line up correctly.

Any one out there experience this kind of issue? What are the options?
Bend the stock tube to make it work? Or buy an aftermarket dipstick?

When I put LT's pn my '87, I removed the dipstick, installed header, and reinstalled dipstick. My biggest issue was finding the hole to put it back into. I stuffed the mounting bracket attached to dipstick tube behind header. It stays in place and hasn't caused me any issues.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
My motor is white with black/red accents see attached photo. Well my tube is having issues around the #6 cylinder. I was looking at some ones on Jegs/Summit but if I can get away with using the stock one I would like to go that route. My problem with bending the stock tube is pinching it **** rendering it usesless.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 103

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
When I put LT's pn my '87, I removed the dipstick, installed header, and reinstalled dipstick. My biggest issue was finding the hole to put it back into. I stuffed the mounting bracket attached to dipstick tube behind header. It stays in place and hasn't caused me any issues.

Can you post a picture of your setup?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Here's a pic after the install. My motor isn't as pretty as yours.

EDIT: This pic was taken b4 I realized dipstick tube wasn't seated properly hence the stick protruding a bit. That sucker is easy to remove, but a PITA to reinstall!

Attachments

• WP_20140316_002.jpg
    WP_20140316_002.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
what type of headers are those? The hookers have a closer tube between 8 and 6. Thank you I haven't seen many white motors out there so figured it would look good.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Ah then they should be similar. See how the #6 tube is routed and the #8 goes straight down? The tube is hitting on the #6 and it doesn't line up quite right. Also I'm worried about the tube being so close the headers with all the heat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 91

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ah then they should be similar. See how the #6 tube is routed and the #8 goes straight down? The tube is hitting on the #6 and it doesn't line up quite right. Also I'm worried about the tube being so close the headers with all the heat.

I see your problem. The way #6 & #8 are routed is different than on my tubes. I don't know how you would go about fixing that. Hooker kinda got screwy with the routing. Don't know why they routed #6 on top of #8. Weird.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Yeah lol I think an aftermarket dipsticks is my answer.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How much of a bend would you need for your tube to work? Considering the stick is quite flexible, you should get away with some bending; and I wouldn't worry too much about it getting hot since it is metal. Mine sits right under #8 and hasn't shown any signs of damage.

Here's a tube to consider: http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26amp%3BM/130/22167/10002/-1. It's pricey, but would compatible with your headers.

Last edited:

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
How much of a bend would you need for your tube to work? Considering the stick is quite flexible, you should get away with some bending; and I wouldn't worry too much about it getting hot since it is metal. Mine sits right under #8 and hasn't shown any signs of damage.

Here's a tube to consider: http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26amp%3BM/130/22167/10002/-1. It's pricey, but would compatible with your headers.

That's a transmission dipstick will that work with oil? I was looking at a lokar one from jegs. It is pricey as well and has a black hook and black top so it would compliment the motor well.

As far as bending I got frustrated and quit before I made a mistake. I will try some slight bending tomorrow night.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That's a transmission dipstick will that work with oil? I was looking at a lokar one from jegs. It is pricey as well and has a black hook and black top so it would compliment the motor well.

As far as bending I got frustrated and quit before I made a mistake. I will try some slight bending tomorrow night.

Stupid me. I did a term search at Jegs. I didn't pay attention to which dipsticks I was looking at.

Don't use the tranny version for oil pan. Those Lokar are nice, even though they are pricey. If I ever get enough money put together to throw at my truck, I'd prolly get one them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schultz76