350 dipstick tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've owned my truck for around 20 years and the dipstick tube has always been loose. Being lazy I have always jut put slight pressure on it when pulling the dipstick out so the tube doesn't come out. It's never leaked or caused an issue but after changing the oil today I asked myself why I've never secured it. Is there supposed to be something like gasket sealer that actually holds these in, or is it just friction from the factory and mine is wore out?
Curious what I should do, besides waiting for it to eventually come out while I'm going down the road.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
20 years is a long time to be loose. It is likely warn down enough that replacing it is the best option. If you're lucky, the block won't be the same.
I have had good success sealing and locking loose tubes (diesels) in place by adding knurling to the portion of the tube that seats in the block. It increases the diameter slightly and will center it when reinstalling. Thoroughly clean/degrease both the tube and the (block) bore. Apply a thin coat of green Loctite to the tube only and tap it into place from the lower portion of the tube.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So if I replace, do the new ones just press in or seal somehow? I should have mentioned the truck probably hasn’t had 5-7,000 miles on it during that time…

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Slight press fit when new, I would run a small bead and smear of good rtv around the base of the tube and stuff it in. Rather than sifting through dipsticks, hoping for the right one.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
this guy recommends putting the lose part in a vice and slightly making it out of round and then using a sealant on it and reinstalling. I should do this sometime(mine is loosey goosey)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sometimes the new aftermarket ones are a pain in the donkey to install because the press fit is too tight. And it sucks even more when one of those cheap chrome ones later break off in the block.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I was on a road trip in oct. In my K5.
My dipstick broke, right where it's stamped with the slot.
Of course, I had a tranny leak. So it was at the back of my mind, "you need fluid!", over and over.
I was on a back road in nebrasks,Nebraska, saw some squares in a guys yard. Stopped got out, we shot the breeze for an hour. He pulled one out of his trucks. I gave him 20 for it. I hated to leave, I could have spent the evening talking with him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1