Long Time Square Body Lover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
I was 20 when the Square Body first arrived. My dad bought a new half ton that year, and I bought a new 3/4 ton the next year. Both were long bed fleet sides. Since then, we’ve had a SB most of the time since. Dad had two at the time of his death in ‘96: a 74 and an 87.

My current SB is an 87 R30 single wheel with a wooden flat bed. Been using it for a couple years as a farm truck. Great for hauling round bales or pulling a trailer. I’ve rebuilt chassis/brakes/exhaust. Fresh engine and TH400. Runs and drives like new. Still needs paint and interior, however.

Jim in NC

You must be registered for see images attach

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
:welcome:

I farm a bit myself and grew up with these things. You will probably like what you see here. Check out the putting your square to work thread on here. Love to see some shots of yours on the farm working.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome! Looks like a dependable, hard working truck!

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
The truck originally worked for the phone company in Gastonia, NC. I bought it in 2011 because it had a new engine. Transmission was out. When I put it on the road two years ago, I pulled the utility body. I was in a hurry to haul round bales, so I built the flat bed from treated lumber. Thought I would replace it with a steel frame flat, but I discovered that I like it.

Jim in NC

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
So many of the people I know have taken on massive debt to buy late model trucks. Our approach is different. This truck already does (most of) what a new one does (no AC), and it will improve over time. Even better, it appreciates every year. Value of new ones drops like a stone.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well spoken Jim. I would take my old Chevrolet any day over a new 4 door truck that seem to be everywhere.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

That cherry picker setup looks like a back saver too.

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
Howdy!

That cherry picker setup looks like a back saver too.

You’d be amazed at how often I need that hoist. Didn’t cost much, but it is remarkably useful. A 100 lb propane bottle weighs 170 lb full. I used to throw them around without a problem. Not so much anymore. Some of my children made fun of the lift, but they don’t hesitate to call me when they have something heavy to move.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I'm going to regret asking, but is your avatar a pic of you with your prize-winning watermelon, or does it just describe your character?

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
I'm going to regret asking, but is your avatar a pic of you with your prize-winning watermelon, or does it just describe your character?

Character description. We homestead, keep a few animals, garden, milk a Jersey cow. The watermelon was the first one harvested that year. 2015, I think. It's an heirloom variety called Georgia Rattlesnake. Not nearly a prize winner, but it—and the variety in general—was delicious. Thanks for asking. Hope this resulted in no regret.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
No regrets at all. It's a refreshing change to see someone on the internet being who they actually are.

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
Here's a different shot of my truck crane in use. Also shows two different GM trucks: a 1989 GMC 3500 van which we bought new and recently retired, and a 1976 Olson body step van on a 30 series Chevy chassis. We have a small leather shop, and we operated it out of the step van for a while. Sold the step van last winter and rented shop space in town. Wish now that I had kept the van.

The photo is of loading one of our leather stitchers into the step van. We have a couple of new leather sewing machines, but this one is a Champion I bought in 1982. Got it from the guy who was making most of Budweiser's Clydesdale harness at the time. He told me it was made in the 1920s. Recent research reveals, however, that the Champion was made in the 1890s. Originally powered by bicycle-like pedals. I converted it to electric drive with a "modern" Singer industrial drive with clutch. "Modern" meaning made in the 1930s.

Can't imagine how I would have gotten that stitcher into and out of the step van without the crane. It's bolted solidly to the bed of the R30, but I also have a mount that works in a receiver hitch.

I tried to post a short video of the old stitcher running, but no luck. Here's a still shot.

And here's a shot of the Singer drive:

Lostranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
Since I know you guys like old stuff, I can't imagine that the photos in the last post are offensively off topic, but in case they are, here are a few of the R30 at work:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members