East Tennessee intro (Jeep convert to Square Body Chevy military trucks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, but not to wrenching/DIY vehicle builds. My dad got me into wrenching with a '57 Chevy Bel Air rebuild when I was in 8th grade through my Senior year of high school. Fast-forward a bit, and in my adult life, I spent 15+ years parting out & rebuilding (frame-up) Jeeps from all eras, and have owned some very unique ones; I'm drawn to unique/rare, boxy & ugly vehicles, not necessarily in that order. Aside from driving my dad's old Chevy work truck back in the late '80s , I haven't messed with these particular trucks until I picked up an '86 M1008 military truck (K30). I'm using it for an around-town and farm truck, and love it...squeaks, rattles and all. :D I'm just maintaining/improving the stock 6.2 diesel with no intentions to drive it hard (Fluidamper/new pulleys/belts install is next).

I also picked up a stripped-down M1028 parts truck, which will be my longer-term build while I continue to drive the M1008.

I'm currently building my wife & me a small house and Quonset Hut out building, so I won't be spending an excess of time on the trucks until I'm done-ish (priorities, or so says the wife ;)).

Craig

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@1x1_Speed_Craig , what’s the best 1975 and older cj, not including the cj6? I’d assume the later ones (cj5) may have better frames, but I don’t know. I’m a touch over 6’ tall, so they’ll all be a bit tight. Looking to build a little wheeler that doubles as a side by side replacement.

Thanks!

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
@1x1_Speed_Craig , what’s the best 1975 and older cj, not including the cj6? I’d assume the later ones (cj5) may have better frames, but I don’t know. I’m a touch over 6’ tall, so they’ll all be a bit tight. Looking to build a little wheeler that doubles as a side by side replacement.

Thanks!

Feel free to message me offline and I can shoot you my phone number if you wanted to chat. In short, you'd be bucking the trend...many have moved *from* Jeeps *to* SXS. In short, I like the '76+ stuff better, as it's what I'm most familiar with. I'm 6'0", and the CJ-5/CJ-6 door openings are awkward/tough for me. I just sold a 5,800-mile '71 CJ-6 (fire station vehicle), and while it was unique/cool, it was a pain to climb in & out of.

The inline 6s starting in the Intermediate years ('72-'75), and continuing through the TJ/LJ era are phenomenal engines.

My favorites would have been a Scrambler or my old '86 CJ-10a military tug that I converted to 4WD. Especially with the Scramblers, though, I've been priced out of the market. They're fetching crazy money...way more than they should be, IMHO. For later-model stuff, my '05 LJ on 1-tons and 37s was awesome.

I've never owned a flat-fender, but your height may make those tough, too.

Craig

Dave Kay

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
6.2L
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, but not to wrenching/DIY vehicle builds. My dad got me into wrenching with a '57 Chevy Bel Air rebuild when I was in 8th grade through my Senior year of high school. Fast-forward a bit, and in my adult life, I spent 15+ years parting out & rebuilding (frame-up) Jeeps from all eras, and have owned some very unique ones; I'm drawn to unique/rare, boxy & ugly vehicles, not necessarily in that order. Aside from driving my dad's old Chevy work truck back in the late '80s , I haven't messed with these particular trucks until I picked up an '86 M1008 military truck (K30). I'm using it for an around-town and farm truck, and love it...squeaks, rattles and all. :D I'm just maintaining/improving the stock 6.2 diesel with no intentions to drive it hard (Fluidamper/new pulleys/belts install is next).

I also picked up a stripped-down M1028 parts truck, which will be my longer-term build while I continue to drive the M1008.

I'm currently building my wife & me a small house and Quonset Hut out building, so I won't be spending an excess of time on the trucks until I'm done-ish (priorities, or so says the wife ;)).

Craig

You must be registered for see images attach
Bravo~! Got an M1008 myself. A thing of beauty~!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag