Long Time Lurker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh and I forgot to mention when I posted the engine pic, but luckily despite it being a 1978 the previous owner appears to have already swapped out the integrated head or an older one, so that opened up a lot of avenues for modification without having to replace the whole head.
Im no expert, but does this look like a 250 head? It would be out of a 76 nova.. i think. You seem to have a good grasp on iline 6 from this time

You must be registered for see images attach

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Im no expert, but does this look like a 250 head? It would be out of a 76 nova.. i think. You seem to have a good grasp on iline 6 from this time

I'm gonna start by saying I know very little about engines, I'm pretty new to all this. That said, is that an inline 6? I only see four sets of valves in that head, wouldn't that make at an inline 4 (or one head from a v8)? There also look to be way too few intake/exhaust passages

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For reference, here's the intake/exhaust passages on the head on my 250 (still in the truck but you get an idea):

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
By god I just counted the holes on top. Never considered inline 4. Its PROBABLY for a tractor on my property... The new cylinder sleeves I found probably go to the same thing

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
By god I just counted the holes on top. Never considered inline 4. Its PROBABLY for a tractor on my property... The new cylinder sleeves I found probably go to the same thing

Lol nice, looks like you're about set up for a brand new engine in that tractor huh? That's pretty awesome, I hope I reach a point in my life where I just stumble across engine parts. I'm slowly amassing a collection myself

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Welcome from Texas nice lookin truck

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Oh and I forgot to mention when I posted the engine pic, but luckily despite it being a 1978 the previous owner appears to have already swapped out the integrated head or an older one, so that opened up a lot of avenues for modification without having to replace the whole head.

I just finished swapping the head out on my '74 250 for the head off of a 194.

I get higher compression with the with that head, and it doesn't have burned exhaust valves like my other one.

I say you should either build up that 250 with a nice cam (Port the head too) or just get Mercruiser 250 from a boat to swap in.

Boat engines kick ass.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I know, it hurt me to do it...but there was no radio whatsoever, so that would involve finding a factory radio and going ahead and wiring all that in just to keep the dash original, and I didn't think it was worth the effort. I've never intended for this to be a "restoration" project, this is more of a daily driver/work truck for me; saving the GTO for the "proper restoration". At this point, what's done is done. I definitely had an internal struggle for months though

I bet you could install an after market radio and still make it look great.

When I bought my truck, I was sure that the radio was original when I looked at it (Didn't know much about squares back then).

It is so perfectly integrated into the dash, they you wouldn't know that it is actually 20 years older than the truck (A Becker Europa unit from the mid 50s).

The only thing that tipped me off that it wasn't original was the fact that it still uses tubes ('74 is way to late for that).

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
definitely keeping the inline 6 though, it's interesting enough since not a lot of people have it
Hope you keep the 3 on the tree as well, so many have been converted to floor or other transmission not many 3 on the trees left.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400

Thanks goodness for that! What carburetor is on your Offenhauser intake manifold?

You are right about a 292. You can conceivably make a 292 out of the shorter deck block, but I understand the connecting rod angles are not good, unlike with the taller block.

Here is my 292. You can see the fuel pump and motor mount locations change, as well as the taller side covers.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I forgot to even say, welcome my fellow north Carolinian.
From salisbury!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10