Lift options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinski1015

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Wanting to do an 8 inch suspension lift but don't want to drop near 2 grand on a full kit. So I was thinking of doing a B-52 conversion up front and a Shackle flip in the rear, What I want to know is what shackle length and spring combo's will net me this lift size and any helpful pointers you folks can dish out. Also how do I keep the axles centered in the wheel wells as I heard this was something that may happen when lifting this way. I've heard so much conflicting info that I figured I would ask myself.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
1st, if this is a street driven truck you might consider NOT using 52" springs on the front. 52's are a lot softer than standard front springs and allow a LOT of body roll, some people complain of side to side movement also. I have 2" lift 52's on my truck (no shocks yet) and it has a lot of lean/body roll in a turn and sometimes will stay like that until a turn in the opposite direction.

That said, when used on the front 52" springs net 4"+ what ever the spring is rated for. Meaning, 4" lift rear 52" springs will give you approx. 8" of lift when installed on the front (stock 52's = ~4" lift).

As for shackle length, it depends on which hole the springs are bolted in on the B52 brackets. On most 52" conversions the rear shackle bracket is relocated so there is no "standard" shackle length, this is something you'll need to measure for during mock up. Keep in mind, shackle length will effect castor angle and long shackles can cause excessive side to side shift.

DO A TON OF HOMEWORK ON THIS as you may be opening a can of worms depending on your expectations and experience level.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Probably Tuff Country springs, stock length but lower than average spring rate so they're flexible and ride good.

What's the intended use for the truck?

Pinski1015

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Probably Tuff Country springs, stock length but lower than average spring rate so they're flexible and ride good.

What's the intended use for the truck?

Show truck, With light trail or mud use 3 or 4 times a year. Want to build a truggy for dedicated offroading eventually.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
6" springs with ORD Zero-Rates front and 4" ORD shackle flip with 2" springs and 1" zero-rate in rear, top it off with 1" ORD body lift.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I'll advise against ORD.. www.DIY4X.com will give you the same results, with better built parts, and customer service to back them up. I don't see why you couldn't use 52" springs. Use a sway bar with quick disconnects, and the soft rate won't be an issue at all.

Pinski1015

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
This is some of the conflicting talk I was mentioning. I've heard great things about ORD but would like to know what you mean.

Pinski1015

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
6" springs with ORD Zero-Rates front and 4" ORD shackle flip with 2" springs and 1" zero-rate in rear, top it off with 1" ORD body lift.

With this combo Will I need a T-case drop?

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
I'll advise against ORD.. www.DIY4X.com will give you the same results, with better built parts, and customer service to back them up.

This is some of the conflicting talk I was mentioning. I've heard great things about ORD but would like to know what you mean.

I personally haven't dealt with DIY so I can't-won't comment on their products-quality, although they look pretty stout.

As far as ORD, I used a ton of their products on my K5 and was never less than fully satisfied...check out the build thread link below.

I also exchanged countless emails with Chris from ORD going over my plans and what would work best = great customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have used ORD quite a bit and have also sent emails or phone to them asking questions and have always got a quick response back (with a good answer).

I have their greasable front bushing, HD front shackles, 3" lift kit, extended brake lines, Bilstein 5125's, steering box brace, and competition bumpstops.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

And that's why you come here. Get all the opinions you can. Toss it around, ask more questions and then you can pick your poison and know what you're gaining and what you're giving up and what to expect.

Personally, on decisions like this... I try to find a buddy, relative or friend of a buddy that has the lift or similar lift I want and see if I can go for a ride with them, or even take it for a short drive and see how I like it first. It's alot of money to shell out and then not be happy with it, not to mention the labor.

I myself am going to be going with a 4in Rancho Spring lift in the front, and 2in blocks in the back so it sets level. That's not what I'd buy though. But, when you get the springs, steering arm, and blocks for FREE, you use them and like them. All I have to do is buy some U bolts for the rear end and probably going to go ahead and buy new ones for the front too depending on how much they cost.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size

Bought a set of 63" Tuff Country springs from ORD for my 93. I was quipped shipping, and simply added the shipping amount to the advertised price on their website. A couple days later I get my credit card statement, and see that they had charged my credit card nearly $200 more than I had anticipated. Naturally, I called to see what was up. Shipping amount was confirmed, but the price of the springs was way high. Mentioned the price on the website, and whoever I was talking to argued with me that the higher price was the correct price. Spent like 2 weeks arguing with these fools about the price posted on their own website. Finally got Watson himself on the phone, and he told me flat out "We're too busy to keep those prices updated." Here's a clue *******, if you're that busy, REMOVE THE PRICES. He continued to argue that the price was what it was, and that was it. Told him that was fine, I would be filling with my credit card company for unauthorized charges. Eventually ended up splitting the overcharge with me, and I told him he wouldn't ever have to worry about doing business with me again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bought a set of 63" Tuff Country springs from them for my 93. I was quipped shipping, and simply added the shipping amount to the advertised price on their website. A couple days later I get my credit card statement, and see that they had charged my credit card nearly $200 more than I had anticipated. Naturally, I called to see what was up. Shipping amount was confirmed, but the price of the springs was way high. Mentioned the price on the website, and whoever I was talking to argued with me that the higher price was the correct price. Spent like 2 weeks arguing with these fools about the price posted on their own website. Finally got Watson himself on the phone, and he told me flat out "We're too busy to keep those prices updated." Here's a clue *******, if you're that busy, REMOVE THE PRICES. He continued to argue that the price was what it was, and that was it. Told him that was fine, I would be filling with my credit card company for unauthorized charges. Eventually ended up splitting the overcharge with me, and I told him he wouldn't ever have to worry about doing business with me again.

That sounds like some ******** right there. :flipthebird: Tuff Country !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Man that's ****** up