Lift Kit Questions, please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwat7

Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hello, I am new to the forum and I have some questions if anyone could lend their advice I would appreciate it.
I have a 76 Chevy 3/4 ton with an old block style 4" lift. The bushings are rotten and the shocks are old and it rides VERY rough and the steering is all over the place. The steering parts were all replaced and the tires are balanced.
I am hoping a new lift with the full leaf spring rear instead of blocks and new bushings and shocks will help the ride and steering. I was leaning toward a skyjacker 4 or 6 inch.
Does anyone have any input on those kits as far as how good they ride and if the 4 would ride better than the 6.
Skyjacker says they would ride the same but I thought it would make more sense that the 4 would ride better.
Also would it mess up my steering geometry or driveshaft geometry or anything to jump up to the 6.
Any advice would be helpful, Thanks.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
What im looking at doing to my truck is 6" front springs and a shackle flip in the rear with 2" springs(if needed). If i dont need the extra 2", then im going factory springs in the rear. I feel the shackle flip will possible give me a little bit softer ride since i will be floating over the springs instead of hanging from them. Oh, and im thinking of adding zero rates for an extra 1". And its gonna be on 35"s

hwat7

Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
what is the advantage of the shackle flip?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Its cheaper LOL, but it also rolls the axle up so the pinion is more up. It helps with your pinion angle on the back.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
what is the advantage of the shackle flip?

And the biggest advantage is that it allows you to net a higher lift with flatter springs. Flatter springs = better ride ( in most cases). I have 6" of lift but only run 2" springs because I went with a shackle flip that got me the other 4". As previously stated, I also benefitted from a corrected pinion angle (I went from a 4" spring in the rear to a 2" inch).

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Before you do anything, look at the shackles on your front springs. If they are angled back and the eyes of the springs are close to contacting the frame, this is where your harsh ride is probably coming from. The spring can only compress so far until it hits solid against the frame. Most 4" kits ride rough but that stock shackle length and angle is a major factor in it not riding as good as it could. Quality nitrogen over hydraulic shocks would help too.

EDIT: Also I agree, shackle flip is a cheap way to eliminate the rear block lift and any axle wrap you might be having for about half the price of a new pair of rear lift springs. Only drawback is you may want to avoid doing any heavy towing, as lateral forces can fold your stock rear shackle.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Before you do anything, look at the shackles on your front springs. If they are angled back and the eyes of the springs are close to contacting the frame, this is where your harsh ride is probably coming from. The spring can only compress so far until it hits solid against the frame. Most 4" kits ride rough but that stock shackle length and angle is a major factor in it not riding as good as it could. Quality nitrogen over hydraulic shocks would help too.

EDIT: Also I agree, shackle flip is a cheap way to eliminate the rear block lift and any axle wrap you might be having for about half the price of a new pair of rear lift springs. Only drawback is you may want to avoid doing any heavy towing, as lateral forces can fold your stock rear shackle.

Im putting towing bags in the back between the frame and the springs. So i can level out the truck when i tow or something. I have bag kit now, but im looking at some heavier duty tripple bags.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Im putting towing bags in the back between the frame and the springs. So i can level out the truck when i tow or something. I have bag kit now, but im looking at some heavier duty tripple bags.

That's my plan as well and why I opted for the 1/2 ton springs even though mine is a 3/4 ton. I'd rather have the softer ride when empty and pump 'em up when I'm loaded down. We'll see how it goes though.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
3/4 ton springs are 4" longer and can be made to ride nicer than the 1/2 ton springs by taking some out of the pack.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
also don't forget when you do a shackle flip only, it moves the rearend forward and looks horrible IMO, and it can also throw angles off, but mostly just get some zero rates or ez inch blocks that bolt to the spring pack they allow you to move the axle bvack or forward an inch.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
For those wanting to do a shackle flip and air bag assist, remember the flip also increases the distance between the top of the spring pack and the frame. Kits like the Ride Rites are designed for a stock distance and won't work without doing some creative mounting work. You'll have to come up with something to put between the top mount which bolts to the frame and the bag itself. It's not an issue with a block lift, but is with a spring lift or shackle flip.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
also don't forget when you do a shackle flip only, it moves the rearend forward and looks horrible IMO, and it can also throw angles off, but mostly just get some zero rates or ez inch blocks that bolt to the spring pack they allow you to move the axle bvack or forward an inch.

Huh? Mine is in the correct location and I used the ORD kit. Maybe others are located the same way. I do know some don't like the shackle hanging down. The smaller kit doesn't look bad IMO.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size

I stated this in my original post about using zero rates. Although i was using them for the lift and not neceserally to offset the axle.

For those wanting to do a shackle flip and air bag assist, remember the flip also increases the distance between the top of the spring pack and the frame. Kits like the Ride Rites are designed for a stock distance and won't work without doing some creative mounting work. You'll have to come up with something to put between the top mount which bolts to the frame and the bag itself. It's not an issue with a block lift, but is with a spring lift or shackle flip.

I was going to make my own mounting pads that will replace the Plate on top of the leaves that the U bolts strap to the axle.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Huh? Mine is in the correct location and I used the ORD kit. Maybe others are located the same way. I do know some don't like the shackle hanging down. The smaller kit doesn't look bad IMO.

I used the ORD shackle flip kit and my rear axle was moved forward. I used a pair of ZRs to move it back the full 1.5". The difference is really noticable in these two pics...

You must be registered for see images

attachment.php

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you think that's bad you should see the gmt400's with it, it pretty much hits the front of the bed shackle flipped.

Anyways didn't notice it was mentioned before about using zerp rates with a shackle flip so my bad geez.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli