license plate lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
so california cops are idiots and they love to pull me over cuz one of my lciense plate lights is out. i thought it was a simple bulb problem however upon inspection the socket for the bulb is very rusted and the seal is completely gone, explaining the rust. not only but one of the wires is not hooked up.

anyone know where i could get new sockets for the lightbulb to screw into and where the lose wire would get hooked into?

im not to hot working with wiring

this is on the standard stock 81 bumper

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
There should only be one wire, a brown one. The socket should get its ground through the bumper. You might be able to find a universal one at the major parts stores, but for an OEM light you may have to look at LMC.com or classicparts.com

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yup, what C4 said. LMC has the complete unit. I was going to buy it because my lens screws were rusted to the housing, but I was able to get them out and save it. You could also get one of these and make it fit under there. LED and waterproof:

http://vehiclelight.com/38668.html

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I took my back bumper off and found that there is a license plate bracket mounted behind the driver side back tire with light.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
do those LEDs run off batteries or do they also need to be hooked up?

and to Crazy4offroad the brown wire is not hooked up to anything which is why the lgihts don't work, my problem is to find where that brown wire should go

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
There should be a wire loom up behind there that carries the wires from the driver's side (feed side) to the passenger side lights. Somewhere in the middle there is supposed to be a connector. If there isn't just open the loom, find the brown wire and splice it in. Then you should be GTG.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
its way more complicated than i thought because the original owner added towing hook up that did not come standard with the truck, or at least he modified it a great deal, so there are extra wires back there that do match colors with where they are supposed to be. any ideas? should i jutt remove the whole towing hook up thing and deal with it later?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it has a reese hitch I would leave it. If not and you dont plan on pulling a trailer or anything go ahead and eliminate it. Honestly there should be a brown wire there somewhere, it all ties into all the park lights all around the truck.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
the fix was the whole old trailer hook up. it seemed to be shorting before the power reached the brown wire, which had actually been connected the whole time. I ripped out the trailer hook up and now one of the lights works fine. the other won't work because the socket is rusted out.

thanks for the help tho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71