What would you choose?

• 1973 plate

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 1981 plate

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No plate

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a newer front bumper on my ‘81 that I kinda like as it is. But my dad left me this license plate underneath the seat of our ‘54 and I found it after his passing. The truck was built in Michigan, I was born in Michigan, and 1973 is my birth year.
You must be registered for see images attach

I did find a 1981 Washington plate, where the truck resides now.

Or no plate, leave it clean and uncluttered.

I asked a patient whose husband was a state trooper and I didn’t think anyone would bat an eye, so I am taking that out of the equation.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I put a fake license plate on the front of mine with the year of the truck. I enjoy folks asking me what year it is but I figured it would be nice at car shows and really anywhere I might leave it parked. My home state of Louisiana doesn't require a front plate so this didn't create any legal issues.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I put a fake license plate on the front of mine with the year of the truck. I enjoy folks asking me what year it is but I figured it would be nice at car shows and really anywhere I might leave it parked. My home state of Louisiana doesn't require a front plate so this didn't create any legal issues.

Yeah, that’s the same way in Michigan as I remember. Here in Washington, it’s supposed to be front and rear, but since I have a collector plate, it’s rear only.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I had an expired MO plate on the front of my '80 just for fun.

Michigan only required one plate at the time so I was ok until I went to Missouri to visit relatives.

Got pulled over and, in the end, I think it was just because the trooper saw that expired plate on the front and got confused. After checking my truck out and visiting a bit I was on my way.

K

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
G-son Brody, living in Missouri, driving the Red S10 4wd, we took back to him. Using Idaho plates because his mom registered it in Idaho. She's on the title. State Trooper was confused by the ST124 sticker(Idaho Issue)in the back window and pulled him over. Registration, license and Insurance and what the Hell you trying to prove, kid? Finally got it figured out, but took a half an hour of their time to do it. I don't think the Officer was convinced the plate was legal, but?? Word must have got around, cause he's been driving and No body else has pulled him over

mlsceo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

Michigan only required one plate at the time so I was ok until I went to Missouri to visit relatives.

Got pulled over and, in the end, I think it was just because the trooper saw that expired plate on the front and got confused. After checking my truck out and visiting a bit I was on my way.

K
Stance on your truck is perfect.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
If you're going with an actual plate with a year on it, it needs to be the year of the truck IMO. It won't make sense to anybody that sees a '73 plate on an '81 truck. I'd just hang the '73 in the garage. Or just find a cool plate to run up front, I switch mine up every so often. Ran a Squarebody Syndicate for a while, then a C10 Club of Ga (before I figured out the head of our chapter is a douche), then a CK Truck Mag, got an AMD plate now. Just bought the blue painted one of these Squarebody Synidcate plates at Dino's, I'll probably put it on next:

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I could also engrave a custom one for you if you want. I put this on my camaro over a year ago. Then got pulled over by Texas dps twice coming and going home from California. You're supposed to have a front plate but only dps pulled me over for it. Local cops don't gaf. So I put it back on. Lol

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you're going with an actual plate with a year on it, it needs to be the year of the truck IMO. It won't make sense to anybody that sees a '73 plate on an '81 truck. I'd just hang the '73 in the garage. Or just find a cool plate to run up front, I switch mine up every so often. Ran a Squarebody Syndicate for a while, then a C10 Club of Ga (before I figured out the head of our chapter is a douche), then a CK Truck Mag, got an AMD plate now. Just bought the blue painted one of these Squarebody Synidcate plates at Dino's, I'll probably put it on next:

Maybe that is the way to go. The problem is, it’s an ‘81 but has a 85-87 grille on it, it’s my favorite year for the square headlights. So no matter what I put on it, to the trained eye it will look wrong.

I think I’ll just leave it off and start a wall decoration- the 73 and 81 can hang up next to the other one my dad hid for me- a ‘91 Michigan plate that was on his ‘68 Corvette and is my graduation year.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

K
I use to have a car that had one of those back to the future licenses plates like this:

The only trouble is Washington requires a front plate. So I'd slap the WA plate on my dash. Cops did not like that, so I switched it and put the WA plate on the bumper and outatime plate in the dash. All was well like that for a few years until a cop took issue with it, and pulled me over and accused me of having my vehicle registered in more than one state which is against the law.

I tried over and over again to try to explain to this dude that it was a decorative plate and was back to the future swag. About 45 minutes later a second cop shows up and I show him the plate, he looks at it and explains to the first cop that it's movie swag. First cop then angerly say to me why didn't you tell me that in the first place, and lets me go. grrr

Even though that was 25 years ago I'll never run a plate like that again on my vehicle. I do still have that plate, but will only put it on the hearse when it's not on the road, like in a parade or parked I'll stick it on real quick, but no more decorative plates with any kind of lettering for me!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Can you register the old plate to use? In Ga, you can use a classic plate on a classic vehicle. They just tie the vanity plate to a regular/new plate and you have to keep the new plate somewhere in the vehicle at all times in case you get stopped and a cop wants to verify. Did that with my '70 years ago.

My buddy sent me this the other day and I ordered it on the spot. Gonna see if I can get it registered to use on my truck. My truck is an '85, but Ga stopped putting the year number right on the plate after '83 other than certain special plates (government, dealer, farm, ambulance, etc). I have yet to find a stamped '85 dealer plate so this should work. As a side note, my dad still has his dad's plate that reads HUCK 1. Was too cool to pass up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod