Kill Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tntbower

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc 400
Has anyone installed a kill switch for theft prevention?

tntbower

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc 400
Awesome - Thanks

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm going to unhook my clutch pedal safety switch, and connect the wires to a hidden toggle switch behind the dash. Of course now days, a standard is already pretty much an anti theft device.

tntbower

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc 400
Yeah - It's like common-sense not being so common.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I'm going to unhook my clutch pedal safety switch, and connect the wires to a hidden toggle switch behind the dash. Of course now days, a standard is already pretty much an anti theft device.
My dad had a 73 c10 that had a manual the was switched to auto and it had a toggle switch hooked up just as you described

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A kill switch won't prevent thieves from rolling your truck on a trailer if they have the time, or pushing it down the road and around a corner . Awhile back I was trying to come up with a way to keep a vehicle from rolling, other than parking brake and trans being in Park. Thought about a line-lock setup but was told it's not a good solution for anything more than a few minutes. Although, I can't remember why.

Just thought about this: Maybe there's a way to padlock the parking brake foot pedal in place when it's down. Probably would need to do some fab work. Yes, I know that a thief could cut the cable, but he may not be equipped or have the time to do it.

Here's an oldie but goodie from the late 60s: My brother had a 56 Chevy sedan that had been stolen once. When he got it back, we put a recessed u-bolt in the concrete driveway, and ran a chain through the u-bolt and over the lower A-arm. Also, fresh out of Navy Electronic Technician school, I kludged up an alarm that engaged the horn relay when the hood was opened. It was activated by a key switch on the fender (!) as I recall.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Wow. Your car thieves down there are motivated. Up this way, there's no way you would see them pushing a car. Doesn't matter how far they have to go. Lol.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Lock and killswitch is as far as I would go. That will deter most common thieves. A pro will have your car loaded on a flatbed or pulled away quickly with a snatch truck.

For prolonged storage I would have a blown maxi fuse in place of the ignition fuse on wife's Jeep. I forgot about it once and her dad got all pissed he couldnt get it started, I came over, swapped the fuse and fired her right up lol. Never told him what it was hahaha It would just crank and crank.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Lock and killswitch is as far as I would go. That will deter most common thieves. A pro will have your car loaded on a flatbed or pulled away quickly with a snatch truck.

For prolonged storage I would have a blown maxi fuse in place of the ignition fuse on wife's Jeep. I forgot about it once and her dad got all pissed he couldnt get it started, I came over, swapped the fuse and fired her right up lol. Never told him what it was hahaha It would just crank and crank.
I never thought of that one lol

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow. Your car thieves down there are motivated. Up this way, there's no way you would see them pushing a car. Doesn't matter how far they have to go. Lol.
So basically, Michigan thieves are more opportunistic than hard working. :)

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
So basically, Michigan thieves are more opportunistic than hard working. :)

Yeah, Flint, Saginaw, and Detroit are definitely not hotspots of motivation and initiative.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224