Kill Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Even better
You must be registered for see images attach
How I learned to drive only on a mid 60s GMC

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Even better

^this for sure and posts that tell where or how to make it secure that are accessible by Google can help create a list of places or things to check for car thieves. Posting security ideas like this in the Members lounge where it is hidden is a better idea.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
^this for sure and posts that tell where or how to make it secure that are accessible by Google can help create a list of places or things to check for car thieves. Posting security ideas like this in the Members lounge where it is hidden is a better idea.
Kinda thought the same thing if some one wants to steal a SB the first place to get versed in them would be a forum 3 on the tree is fool proof lol or at least delay the theft long enough to put a bullet in their heads...

Last edited:

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Even better
When I bought my 71 GMC, it had a 3 on the tree, at least 3 speeds were sincroed by then, lol. The bushings were so wore out, most of the time it was a total guess what gear you were getting. The clutch back then was another millennial theft deterrent because you actually needed thigh muscles to work it, evidently those don't get developed playing video games. :driver:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just wire a heavy duty toggle switch into the main ignition wire. When switched off, the truck will only crank, but not start. Mount the switch high up under the dash. Or you coukd simply pull the coil wire off the dizzy and keep it with you when you leave the truck. I do both and fully insure the truck for loss with Hagerty. This will slow down potential tves, but if they want it bad enough, tthat's fine. I will take the money and start another build. Each build gets better.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yes and Yes!!!

Even better

I like my sm420 heavy duty 4-speed, but the three on the tree I have right now is a definite theft deterrent. After I installed the disc brakes and replaced the entire front end suspension I took it to get aligned and the kid walked to the truck, opened the door, saw the extra pedal and walked back in the lobby and asked me to pull the truck up on the alignment rack...lol...and I was asked to back it off too...lol...not one person working there knew how to shift a three on the tree.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Just wire a heavy duty toggle switch into the main ignition wire. When switched off, the truck will only crank, but not start. Mount the switch high up under the dash. Or you coukd simply pull the coil wire off the dizzy and keep it with you when you leave the truck. I do both and fully insure the truck for loss with Hagerty. This will slow down potential tves, but if they want it bad enough, tthat's fine. I will take the money and start another build. Each build gets better.

We had a '63 c60 with a dump bed on it that didn't get driven a whole lot, so grandpa rigged up a switch like that. I didn't know about it the first time I went to drive it and besides flooding it I almost killed the battery. He walked over, reach up under the dash, I heard the click of the switch, and the truck fired up. I have a switch for mine that is getting installed with my next round of upgrades.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
the old dimmer stitch on the floor could be used as a ignition hot wire interrupt switch on models with the dimmer on the t/s stalk.
on models with the floor switch already in place, a hidden toggle switch could be used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128