Security Options for Older Vehicles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hello, all. Looking to get some feedback here. What ways are you securing your square bodies or older cars, especially the pre-fuel injection ones? I'm taking my Caprice to school starting in January, and I'm gonna get my Jimmy going good here in the next month, and I was wondering about how to keep it safe. I'm gonna try to garage it on campus. These are garages where people drive Plymouth Dusters, VW Microbuses, and old Toyota Land Cruisers that don't get molested so I'm not terribly worried. I just want a little precaution. Some stuff I've had in mind are one of those steering column lock guards, a kill switch to my distributor coil, a GPS tracking module, a steering wheel lock, a brake pedal lock, a security system, maybe an ignition kill switch, and a battery shut off switch for longer storage (wish I could valve the fuel line somewhere between the pump and the carb, too). This plus a potential fuel pump kill switch for the Jimmy. The only ones I've seriously considered are the first three I mentioned, but I'm just brainstorming for the most part. I don't want to do a removable steering wheel, but I'm willing to do any wiring necessitated by these aforementioned options. I just want to know what works for you guys. I know some of you drive wreckers and/or are mechanics so you've seen a lot of stuff. I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to build an android or a transformer because I don't and having a bunch of redundant security stuff will subtract from the enjoyment of owning and daily driving a quality antique vehicle. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Here is a discussion we had a while ago

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15281&highlight=Steering+wheel+lock

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Ahh, yes. I remember this. Thanks for bringing that back to me.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That's a brave move, sir. I could probably get away with that at home, and I doubt I'd meet too much trouble here in New Orleans, but I'm a big time worrier.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
It didn't start off as a goal, but I ended up with the GM Content Theft System when I added the key less entry. If you lock the doors with the remote while the door is opened, it has to be unlocked with the remote, or the lights flash and horn sounds.

http://www.gmforum.com/audio-afterm...y-project-follow-up-double-din-stereo-310379/

This project started off just trying to find a stereo that looks good in my Caprice. The funny thing is, I've got an AM/FM Cassette from another '84 Caprice in my Square!

http://www.gmforum.com/audio-afterm...retrofit-class-2-stereo-into-older-gm-310252/

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I leave my doors unlocked and keys in it want it take it lol. But i catch em... thatd be a fun day
My dad always said that, ya want it... take it because it aint worth taking and ill catch you before you figure out how to take it lol

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I have so many hidden "disable" switches on mine that sometimes even I can't get it going...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk