Just joined today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblue82

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
6.2 L
I bought a 1982 1-ton earlier this year.It is a lot of fun. I took it in for an alignment and there were many components worn out. They want $2000 to fix everything. Does anyone know where I can find a front end rebuild kit? Thanks.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I bought a 1982 1-ton earlier this year.It is a lot of fun. I took it in for an alignment and there were many components worn out. They want $2000 to fix everything. Does anyone know where I can find a front end rebuild kit? Thanks.

$2000?! What all did they say was worn out? Is this a K-truck?

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Welcome aboard

You might try summit
I have bought lots of stuff from them
and have had good luck

bigblue82

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
6.2 L
$2000?! What all did they say was worn out? Is this a K-truck?
It's a K3500. Ball joints, sway bar bushing, spring bushing, drag link, stabilizer bushing. They want $600 to replace the steering knuckle on one side. Not being a fool, I declined their services. This looks like a few hundred dollars to me. We have a full auto shop at work who takes care of our fleet. One of the mechanics moonlights. I want to buy a full kit and have him make it like new.

bigblue82

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
6.2 L
Welcome aboard

You might try summit
I have bought lots of stuff from them
and have had good luck

Thanks. I looked there. I don't want to lift it. That's all I found there. I am looking for an OEM kit.

bigblue82

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
6.2 L
This truck spent most of it's life on the North Slope in Alaska. I want to keep it as stock as possible, a relic from the oil patch :)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks. I looked there. I don't want to lift it. That's all I found there. I am looking for an OEM kit.

I tried to find a Moog Kit, but it doesn't appear that one exists for this application. You say you want it to ride like new, which isn't saying much for a K-truck, but part quality and potential longevity translate to $$$. Good news for you is you have a list of parts that you need. You can fill up a cart, apply a promo code or use a built in promotion, and have them send it for relatively cheap. If you want to be a real cheapskate (like me), you could fill up a cart on Rock Auto and Auto Parts Warehouse and see which is cheaper. Rock Auto has a 5% off promo code, and APW has free shipping on orders over $50. I know a lot of shipping promotions pertain to the contiguous 48 so don't let anyone give you the shaft on that. The only real expensive new part is the knuckle. It looks like there are a few salvage yards within twenty or so miles of you with at least one or two in Anchorage. I'd check them out. You may get lucky and find the knuckle you need for cheap, and then you could just Rock Auto everything else.

Last edited:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's a K3500. Ball joints, sway bar bushing, spring bushing, drag link, stabilizer bushing. They want $600 to replace the steering knuckle on one side. Not being a fool, I declined their services. This looks like a few hundred dollars to me. We have a full auto shop at work who takes care of our fleet. One of the mechanics moonlights. I want to buy a full kit and have him make it like new.

Did you look on eBay
I would think any parts house could get the parts

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Whoa, did those ******** lie to you? Our K-trucks have solid front axles, not IFS, therefore no control arms, and therefore no ball joints. On second thought, I'd either get a second opinion or diagnose it yourself. It sounds like those folks are either inept mechanics, highway robbers, or both. I suppose they wanted to top off the blinker fluid, too. Gosh that pisses me off.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
if your prior military or know someone who is, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, and Oreilly's give 10% discounts. Just an FYI, not a suggestion.

Those 3 normally don't touch Rock Auto's prices, and we get 5% off on top of that.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Almost no one can touch Rock Auto's prices.

Just spent the last week or so comparing the prices to redo the brakes/front axle on my K10 between SummitRacing, RockAuto, Napa Auto, Kragen, and Amazon. RockAuto beat them out about 75% of the time even before our 5% discount promo code with them.

I'd start with swapping spring bushings and greasing everything. From there, check wheel bearings and grease those. After that, you could check the balljoints for play in the C's and tie rods. U-joints will definitely let you know if you need to swap them out or not. Unless the steering knuckle has cracks from abuse, impacts, and/or fatigue, I don't see that being a necessary component to replace.

Last edited:

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Whoa, did those ******** lie to you? Our K-trucks have solid front axles, not IFS, therefore no control arms, and therefore no ball joints. On second thought, I'd either get a second opinion or diagnose it yourself. It sounds like those folks are either inept mechanics, highway robbers, or both. I suppose they wanted to top off the blinker fluid, too. Gosh that pisses me off.

truck has 4 ball joints, would rather do a ifs truck lesss work involved

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's a K3500 truck, it should have a Dana 60 and Kingpins, not ball joints. Should just need Kingpins, Spring Bushings, Pitman arm and tie rods, one of them being a very long tie rod.

I've seen some good suspension parts prices on rockauto.com. We also get a 5% forum discount. Just be sure to apply the discount code at checkout. Ask someone for help finding it here if you don't find it. Rock Auto usually posts it in the Preferred Vendor section.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's a K3500 truck, it should have a Dana 60 and Kingpins, not ball joints. Should just need Kingpins, Spring Bushings, Pitman arm and tie rods, one of them being a very long tie rod.

I've seen some good suspension parts prices on rockauto.com. We also get a 5% forum discount. Just be sure to apply the discount code at checkout. Ask someone for help finding it here if you don't find it. Rock Auto usually posts it in the Preferred Vendor section.

Hey Wait, So how does the axle get through the hub if it's Kingpins? Deeta Dee. So even the Dana 60 would have upper and lower balljoints. My bad !!! Just had a brain fart and figured I better check into that.

BTW @bigblue82, I know this is your Intro thread, it has turned more about Suspension, and being a 4x4, It's an off-road suspension system, so I've moved the thread so others will help you out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64