Just joined today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I'll get this right sooner or later. So the K30 or K3500's with Dana 60 use a Kingpin on top, and a lower ball joint. So I was right both times above. Kingpins and Ball Joints.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey Wait, So how does the axle get through the hub if it's Kingpins? Deeta Dee. So even the Dana 60 would have upper and lower balljoints. My bad !!! Just had a brain fart and figured I better check into that.

I obviously didn't know that. It just gets me fired up when mechanics or anyone for that matter attempt to take consumers for a ride.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I obviously didn't know that. It just gets me fired up when mechanics or anyone for that matter attempt to take consumers for a ride.

Hey, I'm with you and I forgot to address that. $2000 is a phukin joke. Hell to the NO. Take that truck somewhere else for a quote.

Where does the OP live? Do we have a local member to him willing to help him do this work himself?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh ****. He's in Anchorage, AK. We don't have many eskimoes here on the forum. And the $2000 quote, that is part of the reason. People in AK always keep KY on hand for the fukin' right up the poop chute they get everytime they visit a retailer.

But still, $2000 is to much IMO. I honestly think the whole front suspension can be replaced for 1/2 of that even in AK. Unless I'm missing something....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
truck has 4 ball joints, would rather do a ifs truck lesss work involved

Glad to see you here Jay @towman. You don't drop in near as often as you used to :wave:

Thanks for your participation. Come hang out more often.

bigblue82

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
6.2 L
Thanks for the replies. I posted on other forums and got crickets. I am a veteran and avail myself of any discounts available. Thanks for the heads-up. I have looked at rockauto.com. Being new to GMC, I saw there were kits for other makes and hoped to find one for Blue. Yeah, they thought I was a sucker. It rides fine, just started wearing the inside of the front tires. That's why I took it in. It's funny, they said it needed all that important front end work but let me drive it away. That right there told me something was fishy.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd just take it somewhere else for another opinion. IIRC, on the 1 tons there is an adjustment at the kingpins which is the equal to your upper ball joints. If it's what I remember there is a cam on top that can be turned to adjust the camber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB