Is this a direct fit rearend for my 87 V10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
five hundred bucks for the rear and i picked up 44 today for the front. The 44 does Not have lock/unlock manual hubs. This is a simple fix correct?

Yes, simple fix. You just need to identify if it has internal (you'll just see a splined snout) or external mount (there will be 6x 3/8" threaded bolt holes) locking hubs and buy the appropriate style.

What ratio will you run? Did you get lucky and the axles match each other?

Ole Buck

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 SWB 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Yes, simple fix. You just need to identify if it has internal (you'll just see a splined snout) or external mount (there will be 6x 3/8" threaded bolt holes) locking hubs and buy the appropriate style.

What ratio will you run? Did you get lucky and the axles match each other?
No I didnt get that lucky but its ok, the rear already has 5.13's in it. This whole new 1 ton, 3/4 ton stuff is new to me. Now I have to decide how to order springs for my lift. I have the U-bolts and hardware for the rear but i will need front and rear springs. I want to do a level 8 inch lift and run maybe 38 or 38.5 something in that area. I don't know what back spacing or off set is required, hell I dont even know if there is a minimal wheel diameter that I need to purchase, I was thinking something in the 20x10 or even 18x10. I hate the big wheel look. I like the big tire small wheel look. Again, thank you to all of you for your help and if i get on your nerves asking question just get some more coffee because I am coming back with more.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Any wheel 16”+ will fit without mods, 15’s will fit with some light caliper grinding (mostly just removing casting flash).

With respect to lifts Rough Country will likely be the cheapest but they will live up to their name. Tuff Country typically has the lowest spring rates (softest ride) but I’m not sure if they offer 8” kits.

Also, wider wheels and/or less offset tends to require more lift or trimming. For instance, a 39” TSL on a 12” wide wheel with 3.5” backspacing will need around 12” of lift to run uncut front fenders. I give that example because I’ve seen it in person.

Edit: 5.13’s and 38’s will be nice and strong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus